collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The 42 Purifications  (Read 330045 times)

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
Re: The 42 Purifications
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2008, 01:22:01 am »
may i ask- Who is the "Swallower of blood" mentioned in Purification 15?
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:21 am »
Quote from: kathleen
may i ask- Who is the "Swallower of blood" mentioned in Purification 15?

It is tempting, although far from secure, to translate the protector of this invocation as a form of Sekhmet. The "Swallower of Blood" is being asked to verify that the speaker has not committed usury with grain (hennuwit).
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »
yes, i was wondering if it might be Sekhmet, but i certainly didn't want to presume!!!  so that's why i asked.
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 05:07:33 am »
I know this topic hasn't been posted in for roughly a year, but it's a really interesting discussion to read, and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in continuing the discussion.

:grin: Not stomping my foot and demanding a continuation, of course. Just querying, as I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Offline Raheri

• Rev. Matt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2009, 06:54:10 pm »
Purification #8

Hail Fiery One, coming forth backwards, I do not speak lies.

In this purification, we call on the Eye of Ra, the cobra. The cobra protects Kemet, the gods, and our Nisut Hekatawy I (AUS). It does this by spitting out its fiery venom.

The one who wears the cobra can act as Ma’at herself, thus seeing through lies. This specific cobra is the one which sits on the head of Wesir Himself. Thus we are stating to the one who sees through lies at our own judgment. At that judgment we will not be able to hide behind our own lies when questioned by the Great God.

So the question is, are we ready? Can we “honestly” say we speak no lies? Can we stand before the one who sees us as we are and make this proclamation? I know that at this point I my life, I cannot. This is a flaw which requires me to act. I am not perfect, but do I tell lies to those I love to save them form the harsh reality of the truth that I think I see? DO I tell my friends that juicy gossip I heard when I have no way to back up if it is true? Or do I let those little white lies slowly build up. I see myself as an honest man, but I still feel very uncomfortable walking up to my Father, the Foremost of the Westerners, and saying, “I do not speak lies.”
Senebty,

Raheri
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may not die."

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
I do not feel ready to make a lot of these declarations; I feel that in various ways my life is far from pure! It is difficult because there are so many ways to do small wrongs, even if one does not outright lie, cheat or steal. But I am trying to improve so when I pass West I will hopefully be able to make these statements in truth.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Raheri

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
Quote from: FernGreen
I do not feel ready to make a lot of these declarations; I feel that in various ways my life is far from pure! It is difficult because there are so many ways to do small wrongs, even if one does not outright lie, cheat or steal. But I am trying to improve so when I pass West I will hopefully be able to make these statements in truth.

One thing to remember about these purifications is that they were basically spells to trick the gods into gaining enterance to the afterlife. They are high standards and something to strive for, but not commandments or "if you do this you will be a tastey treat for Ammit" sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Awakening in Amenti

that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may not die."

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2009, 05:42:12 pm »
Quote from: Raheri
One thing to remember about these purifications is that they were basically spells to trick the gods into gaining enterance to the afterlife. They are high standards and something to strive for, but not commandments or "if you do this you will be a tastey treat for Ammit" sort of thing.

While I agree with the "they are not commandments" thing, I kind of take offense at saying they're spells to "trick" the Gods into gaining entrance into the afterlife.

I remember, at one point, being told that the Purifications are very powerful heka, used to purify the soul. We go through the Purifications and our souls are transformed into purer souls, then we are judged by that resulting soul. The Purifications are powerful heka, but I do believe that there are some acts that they will not "erase". But Netjer always sees the result and will judge us based on that. There's no "trickery" involved.

But that's just my opinion. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:42:45 pm by amethystfirefly »

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
Em hotep, all! :D

Quote from: amethystfirefly

While I agree with the "they are not commandments" thing, I kind of take offense at saying they're spells to "trick" the Gods into gaining entrance into the afterlife.

I'm definitely not a scholar, but to my knowledge that was more or less their usage. It gave peace of mind to those paying the ridiculous amount of money to buy the Book of the Dead/Going Forth By Day that when they reached that specific moment of their afterlife, they would be able to use these spells to atone for some of the bad things they may have done in their lifetime.

I know that there are some people running around here that are really well-versed in these matters and I think it'd be great for more input. :)

Senebty,

Coty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Coty »
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »
Quote from: Coty
Em hotep, all! :D

Quote from: amethystfirefly

I'm definitely not a scholar, but to my knowledge that was more or less their usage. It gave peace of mind to those paying the ridiculous amount of money to buy the Book of the Dead/Going Forth By Day that when they reached that specific moment of their afterlife, they would be able to use these spells to atone for some of the bad things they may have done in their lifetime.

Em hotep,

I agree with this statement. I think the separation needs to be made, however, between the intent of the individuals who were utilizing their papyrus and the actual effect of the recitation of the purifications. So, as an individual's intent, as you said, would be to pay the outrageous amount of money to be assured that no matter what ills they may have committed in life they would surely pass judgment, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will succeed at that task. Though the individual may be trying to "cheat" their way in, I think the utility of the purifications were just that- to purify the individual of any wrongdoings they may had committed, though not without exception in extreme cases.

So, in essence, I'm pretty much agreeing with both ideas- the separation occurs in defining which perspective/situation they apply to (individual's intent vs. the actual effect).

Senebty,

Laura
Senebty!

Tepta

Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning" or "Bast-Mut survives"

Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS)
Meryt Sekhmet, Serqet, Mafdet her Sobek
Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »
Em hotep all *henu*

Thank you for bringing this back up.  It gives me something to continue to think about (purity).  

Senebty!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
I would LOVE to see this discussion continued! I have read the 42 purifications, and have been somewhat lost as to what *exactly* they mean, so this conversation is invaluable to me!
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Mehetibeminpu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 07:50:12 am »
Em hotep,

You know, I always understood that having a copy of the Chapters in one's tomb was simply something the educated and wealthy did as a choice.  Remember, most of the population wasn't even able to read so it wouldn't have been of much use to them as far as a tool to pass thru the mysteries and tests on the way West.  (Common folk usually had a few spells written on the linen they were wrapped in, if anything, and they trusted the scibes/priests to give them the appropriate ones, because they couldn't tell what it said.)

Mostly I think of it as insurance....the psychological kind.  Netjer is not going to stop a pure soul from the West because you don't recite a spell or purification letter perfect.  

I also think of the book, in general, and the purifications, in particular, as a guide for the living, rather than the dead.  If we haven't lead a good and pure life, no amount of memorization or tricky magic will get us to the West.  Our heart will tell on us.....

At the weighing of the heart the deceased says:  “O my heart which I had from my mother! O my heart of my different ages! Do not stand up as a witness against me, do not be opposed to me in the tribunal…Go forth to the happy place (Paradise) whereto we speed…Do not tell lies about me in the presence of the god.”

For me this means that ultimately, it is our heart which decides where we go, not anything which we have memorized.

YMMV, tho  lol

Mehet
Sat  Yinepu/Wepwawet
Meryt Hethert/Sekhmet her Serqet/Aset
Heri-Sesheta Yinepu

Self-care Yinepu, Serqet and Sekhmet Advocate (Because they take turns slapping me upside the head!)

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
Mehetibeminpu:
I also think of the book, in general, and the purifications, in particular, as a guide for the living, rather than the dead.
Ara:
I know me too! That's why I'd like to know more about it. I'd like to try to use it in the sense it's presented in Tamaras prayerbook....so I'd like to know who the titles address, mostly.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Raheri

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
Purification #9

Hail Bone-Breaker, coming forth from Neni-nisut (Hierakonpolis), I do not carry off the offering bread.

After reading this purification I got the biggest bad feeling from this, along the types of this would be so not good.” Not only that, but ticking of Heru-wer isn’t my idea of fun. I get that scary big brother vibe from Him. Plus using this nickname makes Him sound a bit like a bully I knew in grade school.

This is another purification dealing with theft. This one specifically names taking the offering bread or temple offerings. This purification does not imply that we shouldn’t eat from the food offered to Netjer. It means that we should offer what we have to Netjer first, before we consume it ourselves. It helps to promote the act of thankfulness for what we have. So many in our world today have very little, including some of our family here.

It is important to realize that all we have is a blessing from the Netjeru, including our Temple family. I think this is very important for us to remember right now. We ARE family. We ARE the children of Netjer. We will always prevail.

Tonight, I am going to shrine and thank Netjer for all I have. I am thankful for my family and friends, for my job, for a happy pug, and for my temple family. I think Heru-wer would appreciate this and leave my bones intact.

Senebty,
Raheri
Awakening in Amenti

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3133
  • stats Total Posts: 294190
  • stats Total Topics: 20051
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything