collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 70
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The 42 Purifications  (Read 316294 times)

Offline Mehetibeminpu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: The 42 Purifications
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »
Hotep Ara,

Yea, I learned a lot from Nisut's (AUS) writings on the purifications.  I'm not sure who all the titles address either.  And I actually never thought much about that.  heh  For me it's just all God and I'll be trembling and looking down.  lol

Another good wisdom text is The Instructions of Ptah Hotep.  If you haven't seen those, you might want to.  There are a bunch of web sources of various translations which makes them easy to find.  (  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=km5&ei=CQ9JS8DSFILONcuuwdkK&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=the+instructions+of+ptah+hotep&spell=1 )

:)  Senebty!
Mehet
Sat  Yinepu/Wepwawet
Meryt Hethert/Sekhmet her Serqet/Aset
Heri-Sesheta Yinepu

Self-care Yinepu, Serqet and Sekhmet Advocate (Because they take turns slapping me upside the head!)

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
Purification #10

Hail Bright-Flame, coming forth from Ptah’s temple in Mennefer, I do not dislike myself.

All I can say is just look at how simple this statement is, and how much meaning it conveys. It is incredible and extremely powerful. In this purification we call on Sekhmet, the beloved wife of Ptah. Sekhmet is a beautiful Name who can show us what self-love is.

How often to we say things about ourselves which degrade us, and make us dislike ourselves? How many of us can look into that me and tell that person that you love them. If you can, then I envy you. Many times in my life I have not liked the person I am. I could go on and on about the punishments I have inflicted on myself in my life because I thought I was a horrible being. Thanks to Netjer, especially Wesir and Aset, I can say I like myself. I am proud of the man I have become. Am I perfect? No. Do I need work? Of course. Striving to achieve to be the best person you can be is a daily exercise. It is something we should constantly strive for.

I thank Sekhmet for her power of purification. I pray that she makes me pure, and that she drives out all self-pity and self-disgust. I have an activity for all of us to do. Tonight I am going to look into the mirror. I am going to talk to that person on the other side. I am going to tell Raheri that I love him just the way he is, and how loved he is by God. Try this purification exercise.

Senebty,
Raheri
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Mehetibeminpu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:53 am »
Thank you for this Raheri.  It is a good message and came at a good time for me.

((Raheri))

Sat  Yinepu/Wepwawet
Meryt Hethert/Sekhmet her Serqet/Aset
Heri-Sesheta Yinepu

Self-care Yinepu, Serqet and Sekhmet Advocate (Because they take turns slapping me upside the head!)

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »
I used to not like myself at all.  I didn't feel deserving of much. I hated my lack of willpower. I hated my body. I was afraid of success. I was afraid of failure.  I became an alcoholic, and embraced the destructive behaviors that go along with it. I constantly railed at myself and God because I was such a failure.  

Then Bast found me, and I realized I wasn't alone.  I started making small changes in my life.  Then I found the House, and learned about Zep-tepi.  I embraced that philosophy fully, and began to make more changes.    

Between my own actions, my Gods, and the community here, I have learned to like who I am.  Whenever I start to slide back into self recriminations, I just remind myself that I am a work in progress, and things take time.  My life has done a 180.

Thanks, Raheri for bringing up this Purification.  It has reminded me of how far I've come.  Best wishes to you overcoming your demons.

Blessings and Senebty,

Tahai

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tahai »
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2010, 04:56:01 pm »
mHtp Raheri!

Quote from: Raheri
I am going to talk to that person on the other side. I am going to tell Raheri that I love him just the way he is, and how loved he is by God. Try this purification exercise.

*hugs* Thanks for posting this! It's hard, but I need to learn to do better with this Purification, and that seems like a very simple stepping-stone to start with.

Snbtj!
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Djehutyendy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »
Thank you, Raheri. Sometimes this simple statement can be so easy to forget.
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Fundraising Bak | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »
That's quite a powerful message, Raheri. I would say that would be the purification that I fail at the most. I've found that no matter the circumstances, I can never say that I love myself. I have a hard time accepting who I am, there's always someone telling me in my head that I should be better than what I am or that I'm just a complete failure. It's a hurdle that sometimes, I don't think I'll ever actually get over.

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:09 am »
Very well said Raheri, and thank you for bringing this up for me.
I've been working on the Hethert drawing now for the last week, and hoping that as I discover her, I can learn to take into myself the aspects of Her which I need.
Sekhmet is definately an aspect of Hethert, so I hope that I can do right by them both through this. I'm slowly starting to learn to be less intimidated by Sekhmet.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
There are times where I feel I am a chaotic clashing of base impulses without meaning or purpose. I feel adrift, without direction, and I despair for the state of my human condition.

In my own practice, I try not to shy away from these feelings. Rather than reject them, I follow them through to their roots. I sink into the dark earth, intuitively feeling for those roots, blindly following the roots of self-loathing until I find the knot. The place where what once started out as the pure impulse of life itself got tied up and hopelessly complicated.

I try to understand it. Once I feel I have a grasp on the knot, I find it vanishes. And then, always, there is the flowing rush afterwards. Like a dam breaking. No longer am I a root knotted around a stone. I am a gust of air rushing endlessly over tall grass. I am wild, rushing river rapids.

When I love myself most, when I love life most, when I am most at peace in mind and heart - I always feel that pure energy, that sense of motion.
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2010, 11:54:30 am »
Wow wolf cub. As someone starting shadow work right now, I say - awesome post!
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »
Purification #11

Hail Qererti, coming forth from Amenti, I do not fornicate with minors.

This purification calls on my father, Wesir, He who is in His Caverns (Qererti) in the West (Amenti). It specially speaks out against child prostitution. I think this is one purification we all agree to and uphold. However we should always be mindful that this isn’t just a practice the Greeks had. It is alive today. Child prostitution occurs in many cultures around the world. We should pray that tragedies like these will end quickly and do what we can to prevent it. Unfortunately this happened in our own backyard as well. Prostitution, molestation, and sexual abuse run rampant. We must make these atrocities come to light and never hide from them.

My best friend was a victim of sexual abuse as a child. Today she is a survivor. I admire her for her courage. She opens talks about her abuse and helps those who can’t. She is an inspiration for me. May Wesir, the eternal and final judge of all the dead, judge in accordance to ma’at all those who do this harm to others.

I would also like to bring something else up about this purification, that we commonly will find. Raymond Faulkner translates this purification as, “O He-of-the-Cavern who came forth from the West, I have not fornicated with the fornicator.” Another translation from Budge is, “Hail, Qerrti, who comest forth from Amentet, I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.” Hemet (AUS) has stated in her pamphlet on the Purifications that this purification is frequently mistranslated.  The word used for intercourse is nek, which is a more vulgar form of the word. There is another word, nekek, which means “a prepubescent boy used to nek.”

It's amazing the difference a word can make.

Senebty,

Raheri
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:11:13 pm by Raheri »

Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2010, 12:41:43 am »
Thank you Ara. Although I have to admit that I'm not sure what shadow work is. My methodology is a blending of instinctive intuition, eastern philosophies, visualization meditation techniques, and nature imagery.
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2010, 10:06:02 am »
When you said this:

There are times where I feel I am a chaotic clashing of base impulses without meaning or purpose. I feel adrift, without direction, and I despair for the state of my human condition.

In my own practice, I try not to shy away from these feelings. Rather than reject them, I follow them through to their roots. I sink into the dark earth, intuitively feeling for those roots, blindly following the roots of self-loathing until I find the knot. The place where what once started out as the pure impulse of life itself got tied up and hopelessly complicated.

That is a really good example of shadow work. Shadow work is all about digging deep into ourselves find the things that would make us "unacceptable" to society, but are a part of who we are, and accepting them, integrating them-in the pursuit of becoming whole. In other words, the things about ourselves that we push into the "shadow" parts of ourselves, bringing them out and aloowing them to become healthy. Otherwise, the shadow when ignored will rear eventually and can lead to bad habits, self esteem problems, depression, anger, mental issues, violence, etc etc. A little different than what you are describing, but it seems your philosophy and style are congruent with what would be considered shadow work, that is in essence, better learning yourself. Your feelings of being adrift, chaotic, those COME *from* the shadow self.  
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »
Purification #12

Hail His-Face-Behind-Him, coming forth from his roof, I do not give the wink.

This purification invoked the keeper of Ra’s boat in the Field of Reeds, “one who looks behind himself.” I have looked and cannot find anymore info on this person. Definitely would like to hear if anyone else knows about “the one who looks behind himself.

The wink tends to refer to those individuals who are corrupt or able to be corrupted. Generally this would refer to people in power, such as government and law officials. When given the correct amount, these people will tend to turn their eye and give the verdict the payer desires. This is often referred to as giving the wink or giving the nod.

In our culture of today, giving a wink can be meant as kidding around or telling someone that whatever they are saying is right, but me and you know better.

Fortunately I can say I haven’t given the wink to anyone. Well, not the wink in this context. Bribing officials to get what we desire is an act of selfishness and not allow ma’at to work.

Senebty,

Raheri

Offline ASH

• Remetj
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2010, 09:30:33 pm »
True.  Our 'shadow selves' ARE part of ourselves.  In order for us to embrace ourselves the shadow must be embraced as well.  How else can we know ourselves to make ourselves better?  If we know and accept our shadow(s) then we can make ourselves a stronger whole that works towards improvement.  If chaos is part of me then I am part chaos but it does not need to define me as long as I understand the nature of myself.  
"He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet."

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289051
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything