Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: The 42 Purifications  (Read 316296 times)

Re: The 42 Purifications
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:45 pm »
Hmmmmmmmm. Deception. Corruption. Ruthlessness. Sneaking about in the shadows. Being manipulative. Playing the power game.

I know I certainly have my own flaws and have done wrong in the past. But to knowingly allow another to "take the fall" for my wrong? Let alone to set things up so that it will be so?

I can say little beyond this - that these things are anethema to me. It is an entirely different way of perceiving and expressing life than I go about. One that truly makes my stomach queesy. It's not that bending of rules that I abhor. Or even the dishonesty. I can appreciate a time and place for both of those. But that ever hungry mental and emotional core state, that paradigm that sees every person, place, thing, and event as a means to an end, as a resource to be exploited. It is... a grotesque disfiguration of the potential glory of the human spirit.
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2010, 07:47:27 am »
All true WolfCub, yet many, many people like that exist sadly.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Djehutyendy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
Em hotep!

Quote from: Raheri
Purification #12

Hail His-Face-Behind-Him, coming forth from his roof, I do not give the wink.

This purification invoked the keeper of Ra’s boat in the Field of Reeds, “one who looks behind himself.” I have looked and cannot find anymore info on this person. Definitely would like to hear if anyone else knows about “the one who looks behind himself.

I'm just wondering if anyone figured out more information about "the one who looks behind himself"?

I, too, am happy to say that I have not given the wink to anyone.

Senebty
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Fundraising Bak | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

Offline ASH

• Remetj
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »
Thinking on that...  his face behind him...  would it necessarily mean that someone is looking behind themself or that their (true) face is hidden behind them (their facade) as the 'wink' was considered as corrupt  <- i say that part because i found in the archives a lecture on this one and what the 'wink' meant
"He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet."

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2010, 02:23:14 pm »
Interesting Ash....
Timu

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »
Ah, great. Thanks for that. That helped a lot and I was easily able to find more information. I looked in my book "The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt" by Richard H. Wilkinson and found this on page 104, for those interested:

The 'Celestial Ferryman' of Egyptological literature represents a deity of numerous names. Frequently attested in the Pyramid Texts, the god ferries the deceased king across the 'Shifting Waterway' (which may perhaps be identified with the ecliptic - the apparent path of the sun and planets through the heavens), to the abode of Re, or to the afterlife 'field of offerings.' The divine ferryman is known as Her-ef-ha-ef 'He whose face is behind him' or by any of a dozen other names - many of which have similar meaning such as Ma-ha-ef 'He whose sight is behind him' - and which seem to be linked to his role. Less frequently attested in later periods, the god is sometimes depicted in the vignettes of the New Kingdom funerary texts seated or standing in his barque and being hailed by the deceased. In the Papyrus of Anhai he is shown, according to many of his descriptive names, with his head facing backwards.

Senebty
Endy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Djehutyendy »
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Blog

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:53 pm »
Quote from: Kheru
So I sort of did find him! Glad to help track His name(s) down.  

Yup, you did :) Thanks again!
Blog

« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:48 am »
Wheres 13...??!   :  )
Timu

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »
Purification #13

Hail Bast, coming forth from the shrine, I do not eat my heart.

This purification calls on Bast. For the longest time I have always seen Bast as a fluffy goddess type, but never really tried to develop any relationship with her. . Within the last few years I gotten to know her a little better. My first word I use is sneaky. She is not all sunshine and kittens. She has a fiercer aspect. She is known as the Devouring Lady. She is the Protectress to the Royal House and the Two Lands. She is not the fluffy goddess so many make her out to be. She is strong and cunning.

In Kemetic philosophy, the heart is the center of our emotions, memories, and the consciousness of a person. Our feelings can control us if we allow them to do so. If we feel our heart with negative emotions (such as anger, jealousy, greed, hatred, spitefulness, or self-loathing) then we are starving our heart from what it needs to remain healthy.

Feeding our hearts or our ka is like feeding our bodies. If we eat things we need like dairy, fiber, veggies, fruits, and other healthy things, then our body will function at its greatest potential. However if we feed it with Big Macs and chalupas everyday, then eventually those things were on the body.

Isfet is like a cancer. A small area in an isolated spot, may not be that harmful. But if we feed the cancer with carcinogens of hatred and self-loathing, that cancer may grow and eventually kill us.

I feel on of the greatest forms of isfet is self-hatred. Answer yourself honestly. Can you look in the mirror everyday and feel overwhelming love for that person in it? Can you forgive them of everything they have done wrong? Can you accept that they are only human and may make mistakes? If we can’t then we are failing at this purification. We are eating our heart.

Why do we do this? We are the children of Netjer. I am the son of Wesir. When I look in that mirror, into that person’s eyes, I must know and accept that those are the eyes of Wesir himself. I must now that about all my brothers and sisters. They are the faces of the gods.

I pray to Bast, that she may dispel the darkness and isfet in my heart. That she may devour all isfet and all that opposes ma’at, and shine the light of her beauty into it.

Senebty,

Raheriwesir
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:18 am »
Thank you, Raheri.  There is so much wisdom in this post.

Two items that really jumped out at me:

Isfet is like a cancer. A small area in an isolated spot, may not be that harmful. But if we feed the cancer with carcinogens of hatred and self-loathing, that cancer may grow and eventually kill us.

And

I pray to Bast, that she may dispel the darkness and isfet in my heart. That she may devour all isfet and all that opposes ma’at, and shine the light of her beauty into it.

The second because it goes hand-in-hand with one of my own transformative moments when Bast, with the help of Sekhmet-Hethert, literally burned away Isfet's hold on my soul.

( http://www.netjer.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=100054&Board=4 )

Once again, Thank you!  I really enjoy your wisdom and experiences in regards to the Purifications, and look forward to each new one.

Blessings and Senebty,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »
The comparison of this purification with proper nutrition reminds me of some nutritions commercials which remind us that if our bodies don't get the proper nutrients from our food, then the nutrients might be "borrowed" from certain areas like bones, weakening the bones.

I believe that there is a physics of the soul. The heart seeks balance instinctively, even if it does so blindly at times. If it isn't allowed to do it in a way that is constructive, then it will do so in a way that is destructive for the self.

As Robert DeNiro aptly portrayed in the movie adaptation of Frankenstein, "I have great love in my heart. And great rage. If I am not allowed to fulfill one, then I will indulge the other..."

"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:13 pm »
Purification #14

Hail Hot-feet, coming forth from the dawn, I do not damage myself with lies.

This purification calls on the great Set. He who is the slayer of the Uncreated, who is the source of lies. I remember hearing Hemet (AUS) once say, “The sky is red because the snake is dead,” in reference to the color of dawn and Set’s job on the sky boat of Ra. Set is the only god who is capable of destroying the Uncreated, which is why He is head of the boat and protects Ra on his journey. As a great warrior and slayer, Set can direct us in destroying the beginnings of isfet within ourselves.

Since we have already mentioned in purification #8 that we do not lie, we now mention specifically that we don’t tell lies about ourselves. By telling untruths, we are speaking the language of isfet. We are attempting to destroy ma’at in our lives. Telling lies about ourselves not only damages our own character, but seeks to destroy that balance of ma’at within our own ib. Once one starts traveling down the road of falsehoods, it is hard to steer oneself back onto the path they sought to travel in the first place.

Going one step further with this purification, can we speak the truth when declaring this? How often in our daily life do we lie to ourselves? I know I struggled for years in self-doubt, hatred, and lied t myself everyday about who I truly was. Am I lying to myself today about things? Do I constantly tell myself I am fine and happy, when I really feel alone and frightened? Can I say I love my work, when I see that there are other things I rather do?

I ask Set, brother of my father, who loved his brother so much that He did what no other god could; please come and help me to see the lies I tell myself, confront those lies, and let the brilliance of ma’at shine like Ra from my heart.

Senebty,
Raheri
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »

Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2010, 10:29:25 pm »
Quote from: Tahai
Once again, Thank you!  I really enjoy your wisdom and experiences in regards to the Purifications, and look forward to each new one.

Em hotep Tahai! I am so very far from wise, but thank you for the compliment anyway. :)

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2010, 11:19:55 am »
Raheri, you are doing a great job with the purifications. It's not easy to look inside and be that honest with yourself.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:25 am »
Quote from: Raheri
Going one step further with this purification, can we speak the truth when declaring this? How often in our daily life do we lie to ourselves? I know I struggled for years in self-doubt, hatred, and lied to myself everyday about who I truly was. Am I lying to myself today about things? Do I constantly tell myself I am fine and happy, when I really feel alone and frightened? Can I say I love my work, when I see that there are other things I rather do?

I'm so good at lying to myself that I often believe my own lies. It's something that I've been working on for awhile now and I'm not done yet. I'll definitely be keeping Set and this purification in mind as I continue working on this personal flaw of mine.

Thanks for the analysis, Raheri!
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289051
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217