collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The 42 Purifications  (Read 299070 times)

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
Re: The 42 Purifications
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2016, 11:59:23 am »
Em Hotep Johnny

there are many different terms.
The most common one would be "42 negative confessions".
Here we call them the 42 purifications.

Budge is widely and cheaply available but his translations are kinda outdated.
One of the best translations was made by Faulkner

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2016, 12:03:53 pm »
OK. Thank you for the information. I'm learning. Thank you all for accepting me as a Kemetic Teachings Beginner [Zep-Tepi]

Sent from my Z820 using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2016, 12:06:32 pm »
Is Muata Ashby "The Book Of The Dead" Coming Forth By Day, a reliable source ? I noticed on Amazon Kindle App, He is a Practicer and a Netjer Teacher as well..

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2016, 12:22:47 pm »
I haven't read that version so I can't really comment on it, but according to one review on Amazon it is not a translation of the Book of the Dead and according to one website it mixes Yoga with Kemetic thinking.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2016, 12:24:45 pm »
I haven't read that version so I can't really comment on it, but according to one review on Amazon it is not a translation of the Book of the Dead and according to one website it mixes Yoga with Kemetic thinking.
OK. He does do yoga as well. I'll stick with Raymond Faulkner.... Thanks once again

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »
Em hotep Johnny,

Budge is no longer considered an accurate source for translations, as his work was heavily influenced by Victorian morals and a wealth of information has come through since his time.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
Thank you. I'm new to this. Nevertheless, I was told Raymond Faulkner was a "accurate source."

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2016, 07:44:16 pm »
Hotep

Faulkner imo is the best translation.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Self-Care Aset Advocate, Self-Care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
Thanks

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:23 pm »
I find myself meditating on the 42 Principles of Ma'at a lot.......

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2016, 05:23:45 am »
During an Indy, IN gathering once, we made necklaces where the beads represented the 42 purifications and in the middle was a silver feather.  It is very helpful for contemplating their importance.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Saymari

• Shemsu
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2016, 09:06:42 pm »
During an Indy, IN gathering once, we made necklaces where the beads represented the 42 purifications and in the middle was a silver feather.  It is very helpful for contemplating their importance.
That sounds like a neat idea. Would it be appropriate to ask how they were made?
On an eternal search for the truth with occasional stops for snacks and site seeing.

Hey guys, I am trying to get some practice with some oracle work. Anyone who wants a reading please feel free to message me ^_^

Offline nandor

« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2018, 05:33:33 pm »
I think geographical names could be read metaphorically also.
"coming from Iunu (Heliopolis)" means being the son of the Sun "I am not doing (making) isfet."
I`m not walk in darkness.
And so on. Every place name should be analyzed this way.
Above and Below are not interchangeable but the same as everything is One.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #328 on: February 09, 2018, 04:52:37 am »
I think geographical names could be read metaphorically also.
"coming from Iunu (Heliopolis)" means being the son of the Sun "I am not doing (making) isfet."
I`m not walk in darkness.
And so on. Every place name should be analyzed this way.

Em hotep nefer, Nandor. :)

An important thing not to do is to confuse Greek toponyms with Egyptian ones. One should be careful not to extrapolate meanings from Greek or Latin and apply them anachronistically to Ancient Egyptian material written and practiced long before the Ptolemaic and Roman Occupational Periods.

The name "Iwnw" means "Pillars," perhaps in reference to the Pillars of the Sky referenced in Egyptian cosmic geography, or to the pillars existing at the central temple. There are no explicit solar meanings attached to this particular native name of this city, as there is with the Greek name Heliopolis, plainly meaning "Sun-City" -- so named by the Greeks on account of the prominent cults of Re and Atum and Their bovine Wehem (Herald), Menwer (Mnevis).

Similarly, no less than two Egyptian cities were renamed after the Classical Hero and God Herakles: Herakleopolis Magna, and Herakleopolis Parva -- "Herakles-City Large" and "Herakles-City Small," respectively. The native Egyptian names of these cities mean completely different things than what Greeks and then Romans assigned to them. The largest of these, Hwt-nn-nsw or Hnn-nsw -- Hellenic Herakleopolis Magna -- translates roughly to "House of the Royal Child," for example. It could hardly have anything to do with Herakles when that Egyptian city and its cults were founded thousands of years before Herakles' cult first emerged in Greece. :P

Another important city, Hermopolis Magna ("Hermes-City Large"), was originally called Ḫmnw, or "City of the Eight" -- referring to the eight primordial deities that sacrificed Themselves to become Creation, with Djehuty, the chief deity of this locale (identified muuuuch later by Greeks with Hermes), as Cosmic supervisor of the act and then Their Setem (a kind of priest acting in a funerary capacity). Again, we shouldn't place any emphasis whatsoever on the meaning of the Greek name with respect to any pre-Ptolemaic Egyptian material.

Rarely, some foreign toponyms (most typically the Hebrew ones) do retain a meaning consistent with the original Egyptian ones. The Hebrew toponym "Pithom" is one such example, which in Egyptian was pr-itmw, meaning "The House of Atum." The Greek name of pr-itmw, "Heroonpolis," comes from a Greek term, heroa, which refers to the shrines commemorating Hero-cults. Thus, "Hero-Shrine-City." :P

Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea by now. ;)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
The 42 Purifications
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2018, 09:49:58 pm »
Purification #33
Hail Nefertem, coming forth from Huwt-ka-Ptah, I do not wrong myself; I do not do evil (things).

What does it mean by wronging oneself? Earlier in purification #13, we discussed not eating out hearts, but this purification is different. We have just went through a litany of misdeeds and now we come to this one. What do we make of it? How does it affect us at this point in the purifications?

I do not wrong myself….

How many times have we done something we regretted? How many times have we done something that has harmed us physically, psychologically, and emotionally? Harm can leave scars, some very visible and others more difficult to see. How can we recover from these?

I believe this purification could possibly give an answer in the form of Ptah and Sekhmet’s son, Nefertem. Nefertem is more than the god of perfumes and flowers. He is an embodiment of the Tem, the Self-Created One. He emerges from the lotus which represents something very beautiful. Lotuses are born in the murk and mud. They begin life in very nasty surroundings, covered in filth. But as they grow, they reach for the light until finally bursting forth from the murky waters they reside in. They emerge as a beautiful pristine flower, fragrant and stunning.

How often have I saw myself like this? Sometimes I feel bombarded with all my past mistakes. But Nerferum reveals to me that no matter what filth and dirt I have to crawl through, I can wah it away. I can feel his purification envelop me. I too am something beautiful that is filled with the moment of Zep-tepi. I can begin anew.

"Nefertem, Lily of the Sun,
Take all that disguises my true self and wash it clean from my face.
Wash my eyes O Beautiful Youth with your healing hands and help me to see myself as You see me.
For I am pure, my ka is pure, and I am a child of Netjer."
Raheriwesir,
Son and Heri-sesheta Wesir-Sokar | Geru-in-training | Email | Awakening in Amenti

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2631
  • stats Total Posts: 271771
  • stats Total Topics: 18214
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 101
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything