collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Animal Ka?  (Read 13343 times)

Animal Ka?
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:33:41 pm »
Em Hotep (henu)

I think that i seen on post, way back, asking about a cat...i'm pretty sure that it was said that animals have no Ka.  Am I correct in my recollection?

Senebty,

Ankhem

Son of Sekhmet-Mut and beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Nebthet-Nit-Seshat, and Set

Ma'at hen'a-ten ra-neb

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
Re: Animal Ka?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »
It's my understanding that they have bau, but not kau.  So, yes, animals have souls.  But no, animals don't have kau.  Which is a good thing for them as they don't have to undergo judgment.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:51:01 pm »
Em hotep!

I'm not sure exactly, but I know they don't become Akhu. Only humans become Akhu, so I think therefore that means that animals don't have kau, since that's what gets transformed when you die. Only bau for animals, then! Animals don't need to go to the hall of Wesir when they die to get justified, and they can become netjeri after death. No humans can become netjeri, perhaps because we have kau? Heh, kind of makes sense that way now that I think about it ...

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »
hotep :O) Thanx 4 answering, another one.  OK, I am understanding Ka to be the "soul" reflecting your physical body...right?
Senebty,

Ankhem

Son of Sekhmet-Mut and beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Nebthet-Nit-Seshat, and Set

Ma'at hen'a-ten ra-neb

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
Your Ka is your personality that changes with your experiences in life. Your Ba is your unchanging self. Your Ka is represented by a human-headed bird.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »
I thought the ba was a human-headed bird? Though come to think of it, I don't know what I thought the ka was . . .
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »
Waitaminute ... I'm mixing them up again? Argh! Yes, I think it's the ba-bird ... so does the ka just look like us how we are now?

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 09:29:51 pm »
I thought the ka was represented by sort of a double-silhouette or something...where did I read that??
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:37 pm »
Our ba is represented by a human-headed bird.. but it doesn't look like one, right? That could be a bit creepy. :D I mean.. if you were a Bast kid, would it look like a cat? Or what about a Sobeq kid? Would the symbol change? Or am I totally getting what you said wrong?  :eek:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:48:04 pm by Moswen »
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:58 pm »
The ka is two upraised arms, like this one: http://www.spauda.lt/mitai/artimi/ka/ka.jpg

The ba is as Taji says the human-headed bird: http://www.civilization.ca/civil/egypt/images/reli19b.jpg

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:59:49 pm »
Okay, I must ask, why do other animals possess a bau but not a kau? Why are we the only species that has to undergo judgement?
Minwywesir - 'Mini'
Sat [color:darkgreen]Wesir,[/color]
meryt [color:#2554C7]Amun-Ra[/color], [color:lightskyblue]Shu[/color] her [color:red]Heru-wer[/color].
Dear friend to [color:purple]Bast-Mut[/color] and [color:#666666]Wepwawet[/color].

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:25:40 pm »
Nai to the rescue! :D

Aelfcwen - as far as I know, animals (other than human animals) don't undergo judgement because they don't (can't?) transgress against Ma'at. Lions eat other animals out of necessity, not spite or malice, for example. Since humans have the ability to upset the balance of things, we also have to own up to our actions when Ma'at comes a-calling.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:21 am »
Thanks for your reply :)

Another question, what's the Kemetic belief as to why humans are the only animals that can transgress against Ma'at? Where did we get the ability to do that?
Minwywesir - 'Mini'
Sat [color:darkgreen]Wesir,[/color]
meryt [color:#2554C7]Amun-Ra[/color], [color:lightskyblue]Shu[/color] her [color:red]Heru-wer[/color].
Dear friend to [color:purple]Bast-Mut[/color] and [color:#666666]Wepwawet[/color].

Offline Menekh

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:51 am »
Em Hotep Aelfcwen *henu*

I guess one way of explaining it would be that Netjer and the Netjeru gifted us with freedom of will.  We can pretty much do as we please and therefore have a very great responsibility to commit "rightful" acts.  Because we have free will, we need the concept of ma'at, and Ma'at as a goddess,  to keep us in balance.  We also need societal prohibitions and guidelines to keep our behavior in ma'at - hence the negative confessions that are found in the Book of Going Forth by Day (just one example of something people have adopted to help guide us in rightful actions).  The ways and manners in which we choose to act merit judgement both in the Hall of Two Truths when we go West, and in every moment of every day as we go about our lives.

That's only one way of thinking of it.  I'm sure there are as many complimentary thoughts on the subject as there are people on earth!

Senebty,

Menekh
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Djehutymenekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:00 am »
Em hotep!

I wonder that there must be another reason as to why only humans have kau because I think the ability to transgress against Ma'at does seem to permeate through other species. For example, bottle-nose dolphins have been witnessed to murder porpoises off the coast of the United Kingdom.

I intentionally use the word "murder" because the dolphins have no real reason for attacking and killing these porpoises; the dolphins do not eat them, amicably share territories with them, are not in competition with them for anything, and what's more is that the dolphins target only particular members of a group of porpoises that fit certain sizes and shapes.

An animal who has the cognitive sense to empathize (i.e., understand and relate to another's experience and even comprehend the experience of another as if one were the other) must certainly have the capability to choose to do something it knows it unnecessary and will ultimately result in the death of another creature.

As I understand it, the current hypothesis is that the dolphins are practicing their infanticide skills, but nothing substantial has been discussed.

For the moment, I'm satisfied with the idea that the gods simply decided to create us with kau. In their great wisdom, They wanted us to be different.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:39:22 am by Paymaayinepu »
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
"This one, Yinepu guides"
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra
Per Yinepu: Tepy-dju-Ef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124