collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Why be named?  (Read 11308 times)

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
Why be named?
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »
I know that like the RPD, becoming a Shemsu and being named is optional. I'd like to know why some of the Shemsus chose to be named? Also I'd like to know about how they came to that decision.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Re: Why be named?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04:15 pm »
Em hotep, mauvedragon!

The Rite of Parent Divination, Shemsu Naming and Shemsuhood are all optional - but if you want to become a Shemsu, Naming is part of that process. It is the rite of passage by which one becomes a Shemsu. For me, I knew right away after my divination that I wanted to be a Shemsu, so Naming was part of the package for me.

Also, just a helpful tip - Shemsu is the same in singular and plural form, kind of like sheep, or moose. ;) Took me forever to figure that out.

Senebty! :)
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »
Em hotep!

Well being named is part of becoming a Shemsu. While the RPD is beginning of the rite of passage into Shemsuhood, the naming is the completion of it. You could almost see it as a rebirth of some sort. You find out who created you in the RPD and then receive your name. It is at the naming ceremony where you take the Shemsu vows.  

EDIT: Ooops, pretty much restated what Sobeq already said. :crazy:

I chose to go on to become Shemsu and then get named because at the time it seemed like the right decision. It still is the right decision for me now. I love these people as my family.

Senebty,
Meti
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:13:31 pm by Metitaitui »
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:21:53 pm »
Quote from: Sobeqsenu
but if you want to become a Shemsu, Naming is part of that process. It is the rite of passage by which one becomes a Shemsu.

I knew that there was no distinction between naming and becoming a shemsu. Perhaps I should have asked "Why become a shemsu?"

Quote from: Metitaitui

I chose to go on to become Shemsu and then get named because at the time it seemed like the right decision. It still is the right decision for me now. I love these people as my family.

I know I want to have the RPD....I'm thinking about Shemsu vows because I have found from the beginners course that it is my natural inclination to serve Netjer first. However I am trying to make sure that I deliberate about it fully because I made comfirmation vows at sixteen under pressure from my mother and now I can only keep the spirit of those vows but not the letter. I'm scared that my spirituallity and my reaction to Netjer may change over time again.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:33:07 pm »
Quote from: mauvedragon
I know I want to have the RPD....I'm thinking about Shemsu vows because I have found from the beginners course that it is my natural inclination to serve Netjer first. However I am trying to make sure that I deliberate about it fully because I made comfirmation vows at sixteen under pressure from my mother and now I can only keep the spirit of those vows but not the letter. I'm scared that my spirituallity and my reaction to Netjer may change over time again.

That's good that you plan to think about it fully, I think this kind of decision should be something that is mulled over thoroughly. And though I do tend to be impulsive I did think about this decision for a few months after completing the beginners class. The great thing about the House though is that if at any time you find that it is no longer the place for you or if you find yourself being pulled somewhere else you can step down to Remetj or even leave entirely.

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:52:36 pm »
Quote from: Metitaitui
The great thing about the House though is that if at any time you find that it is no longer the place for you or if you find yourself being pulled somewhere else you can step down to Remetj or even leave entirely.

You can be released from those vows if necessary?

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:21 pm »
Yes. In my time as a member here (almost two years :D) I have known a few people who have left, or chose to go back to Remetjhood.

Offline Meruti

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:25 pm »
I've had a lot of times where I questioned whether this was the right place for me. I've had long periods of anger, doubt, borderline atheism, and simply not giving a crap. Honestly, there should be no shame attached to any of these things. They happen to everyone and they show that you're actually thinking about your faith, rather than just gamely trudging along with no real feeling whatsoever toward anything.

If you want to know the truth, I'd be more scared if your spirituality and reaction to Netjer didn't change over time. At some point you'll almost certainly become frustrated or apathetic and take a break for while, but eventually return to Netjer with a renewed sense of purpose. You may even begin to focus most of your attention elsewhere or lose faith completely. Are these things painful? Yes. Do they make you sigh and yell and bawl helplessly? Yes. In the end, though, are they really that huge a deal? Not really. As cliche as it is, it's the journey and not the destination that counts.

I'm might seem pretty lackadaisical about all this stuff. Maybe I am. I just believe that overthinking things doesn't lead you anywhere good. This is not to say that you should make rash decisions or never contemplate things, but when you start overthinking something all you do is run in circles, lose track of the original question, and eventually end up right back where you started, still confused and no closer to a satisfactory answer. As Meti said, it's a good idea to mull over the situation for a while, go slowly and don't rush yourself, but for god's sake don't get caught up in some mental/spiritual gauntlet over it. Religion should not be something that makes you feel like you've been run through the wringers. Life is tough enough on its own.

Alright, I'm going to shut up now. Just remember that there is no pressure to do anything, or to not do anything. You're no more devoted if you're a Shemsu, and no less devoted if you're not. No one will think less of you if you decide that this is not where you want to be. If they do, I will personally go to their house and yell at them until they cry. ;)

ETA: Sorry if this sounded really inflammatory. It wasn't meant to. :(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:40:33 pm by Merutihethert »
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:07:01 am »
Just to clarify, the levels of membership (as I understand it) are:  Guest, Beginner, Remetj (members who stay on after the beginner's class), Divined Remetj (received RPD but not Shemsu yet), and Shemsu (those who are named and accept Shemsu vows).

People seem to forget about Divined Remetj; it's sort of assumed that if you get the RPD you'll choose to become Shemsu too, but not everyone does and you'll never be told you have to.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:13:46 am »
Quote from: Senushemi

People seem to forget about Divined Remetj; it's sort of assumed that if you get the RPD you'll choose to become Shemsu too, but not everyone does and you'll never be told you have to.  :)

I hadn't forgotten about Divined Remetj. I'm treating this possibility as separate from the decision to have RPD.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:10:02 am »
Divined Remetj have undergone RPD but have not undergone Shemsu vows and naming.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 09:03:48 am »
Personally, I took my Shemsu vows out of joyful gratitude. My thoughts were along the lines of, "these Names created me, the least I can do is vow to serve them first and foremost."

Oh, and a lot of love too. "Shemsu" literally means "follower." Most people in today's society are uncomfortable with being followers; we place high value on leadership. But obviously, where God is concerned, I think it's best to let God lead, if you know what I mean.
Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Bast-Mut, meryt Djehuty.

Kheret - 'Subject to Two'

Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera.

Offline Senushemi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 10:25:44 am »
Quote from: mauvedragon
I hadn't forgotten about Divined Remetj. I'm treating this possibility as separate from the decision to have RPD.

I didn't mean you specifically, just the conversation in general - but I'm curious by what you mean by treating the Divined Remetj possibility as separate from the decision to have RPD; they go hand in hand.  Or do you mean that you aren't worrying about moving from Divined Remetj to Shemsu yet, you're still pondering the RPD itself?

From the naturally curious cat...  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senushemi »
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Senushemi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:53 am »
Also, I agree with Kheret - being named to me meant dedicating myself as a follower of Netjer *first* before any and all other gods.  It's sort of like a baptism or confirmation that way - in fact, it's very much like the Catholic confirmation where you receive your confirmation name from the Bishop (the only difference being the Catholics let you choose your own confirmation name).  I was happy to let Hemet (AUS) get my name from my Parents for me; They might have told me Themselves, or They might not have.  Hemet has a better connection to Netjer than any of us, so I trust her to get it right more than I trust myself, if that makes sense.  :)
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 12:00:37 pm »
I didn't forget about Divined Remetj. :blush: I considered bringing it up but then didn't think it was pertinent to the conversation since mauvedragon wanted to know about Shemsu vows and stuff but hey it is useful information. :)

Oh and I agree with Kheret as well but I think both my feelings to towards the gods and the community both played a huge part in it. While I wanted to serve Netjer first if I didn't like the community here I wouldn't have gone through Shemsu vows but instead would have made my own vows.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:04:41 pm by Metitaitui »

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289050
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217