collapse collapse

* Donation Status

19%
Current donation status as of February 28, 2021 = $463.18 of $2,500
19%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Bes  (Read 51042 times)

Bes
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »
I couldn't find any Bes threads on Naisenu's handy list, so I'm starting one.

I don't know Bes very well, but several times I've been inspired to offer Him something. So far: mango juice, pad thai, and orange cream soda. The thing is, the wiki page on Him is not very expansive, and while there are scads of Bast-lings and Yinepups, the only so-far divined child of Bes is Bestekeni, and I can't remember if He is a Beloved of anyone. I don't want to bother Tekeni ALL the time about her Father, so I was wondering what experiences have been had with Bes and what people know about Him. :)
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
Re: Bes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:26:25 pm »
...I just finished eating some pad thai before I started reading this thread.

Your offerings have been pretty much spot-on.  Slice up a granny smith apple, while you're at it :)  He also likes crafts dedicated to Him.  Even if they aren't very good, He still loves the effort.

Dad has been divined as a Beloved twice, but neither of those people are still active in the temple.

I have done quite a bit of research into Dad and Beset, so ask away!  I definitely know two other people have had personal experiences with Him as well.

Never be afraid of bugging me.  It's hard to do :)
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:46:12 pm »
Em hotep,

I haven't had much interaction with Him directly, but mostly through His daughter Tekeni. :)

I get the impression that He's fierce, jovial, rowdy, silly, casual, and loves a challenge. I think He laughs often, and it's a booming, deep, belly-laugh. When an innocent is threatened, He goes in to "bad cop" mode, and then you'd never think He even smiled with that face.

I also know that Tekeni is more than happy to be bugged about Bes 24/7. ;)

Offline MeritAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:06 pm »
Hotep *henu*

I suspect Bes is a latecomer in the Beloved department for me but I haven't had a divination to confirm or deny it - but I do not really feel it necessary to confirm what I already feel deep down. I have had some great conversations with Tek about Bes. I find Bes is very protective but also approaches things with a sense of humour. When He wants my attention, I ALWAYS have cars cut in front of me with license plates beginning with BES. Always. Just when I wind up to launch a string of obscenities at the driver the letters BES jump out at me and I'm like "FFS Bes!" And He just laughs at me. Then I will hear a song on the radio or on my CD that He could be singing directly to me about the current situation or a message He wants me to get.

I once offered Him something different to what I offered to my Parent and Beloveds and He was like "Oh so, it's good enough for Them but not me?" in a smart alecky tone. I had offered alcohol to Aset and Heru-Wer and NebtHet and an apple to Bes. So now he gets what They get offering wise if it's alcoholic :)

But I'd NEVER want to piss him off. I think He'd have a temper worse than any Name - that's just my opinion there.

Senebty,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by MeritAset »
MeritAset - The One Whom Aset Loves
Sat Aset, Meryt Heru-Wer

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:48:16 pm »
When He's displeased with me, He just goes away for a while.  That's the worst thing He could do, as far as I'm concerned.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline MeritAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:55:04 pm »
Oh yes, the cosmic dead air is the worst feeling for me :(
MeritAset - The One Whom Aset Loves
Sat Aset, Meryt Heru-Wer

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:02:18 pm »
[color:#993399]I don't know if Bes was who/what I saw or not...

When I was younger, a tween or teen, I was alone when my mother went out. I was considered old enough to take care of myself for a short amount of time.

It was later in the day, I believe the sun had set and it was dark out, and I wished to go to the back room which was adjacent to the kitchen, held the stove and a small bathroom.

As I got to the midpoint of the kitchen, out of the backroom came this form (but I didn't see as a solid being, more like a fuzzy, 'electrical' outline) of a small person.  

'It' was running right towards me, and while I feel it may have gone through me, my sight of it disappeared when it got a few more feet away from me.

Of course I was shocked!  I really didn't know what to think, and it scared the living daylights out of me at first!  But I also recall a small sense of coolness from it, I wish to say a sense that I shouldn't be afraid.

I went on my business...

Only recently have I wondered if this was Bes.  I've had some bad experiences spiritually which sometimes make me question either myself or the house at the time.

I just question now if Bes was shaking his sistrum running though the house trying to purify the place.  

Around this same time (give or take a few years) there was one large incident that happened and that really affected me.  

It would make sense, I believe, if it was Him, but I just don't know for sure.

Well, I thought to share. :)[/color]
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:38:00 am »
Recently I've been really wanting to make a Bes stuffed toy. I need to find cloth and stuffing though. But I will post my results when I achieve it! :)
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:28 am »
[color:#993399]I've been thinking that Bes plushies would be perfect! :)[/color]
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:14:58 pm »
For Bes fans (who isn't, right?) I think this statuette from the British Museum shop is awesome:

http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcr90700
Khefet - KhefetBast-Mut "in accordance with Bast-Mut"

Sat Bast-Mut
Meryt Aset-Serqet, Yinepu-Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:38 am »
Oh how cute he kind of looks like a bear.
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:42:01 pm »
If you hunt, you can find better statues.  

For example, this one that Shemi got for me:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/Benderelle/smallstatue.jpg

Its twin now lives in the Bast room at Tawy, while this one currently is watching over little Reheb :)
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline Mary

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:10:15 pm »
I love it!!

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 12:19:51 am »
Ooh Bestekeni, the one you posted really looks great! And I can see a part of your tattoo (if it's you) which seems like a very good work (love tats myself)

I also like the faience Bes, because faience was so popular in Egypt and we have many ancient statues with the material.
As a Bes girl, I guess you could not have enough, anyway! :) I have my eyes on the 2000+ Pounds Sterling massive bronze statue of Bast from the British Museum shop, but not gonna happen anytime soon! It's the famous Gayley's Cat -a direct replica. Sorry, getting off topic here.
Khefet - KhefetBast-Mut "in accordance with Bast-Mut"

Sat Bast-Mut
Meryt Aset-Serqet, Yinepu-Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 03:01:36 pm »
After some thought and prayer, I decided to revisit this thread and post my feelings on my Father's nature.  Forgive me if this is a little rambly, but I'm just writing from my heart.

If I were to sum him up in one word?  That word would be "work".  That is what He's about.  He is always on the move, always up to something, always getting something done.  He is always on his guard, ever vigilant.  

However, He isn't dour. He is funny, gentle, loving and warm.  He loves fiercely and is fierce for all He loves.  He enjoys love and laughter, a good joke and all that... but those are only things you can enjoy when you are safe, so that is job number one.

One must always remember that He is a masked deity.  The funny-man bit is mostly for our benefit. The guardian doesn't want to scare the ones He's protecting.  I believe it's not all a front -- I'm pretty sure He actually does possess a pretty keen sense of humor -- but there are deeper things than that.  

I'm not saying that humor is superficial and the only important things are all serious business and grump grump work work work.  He shows us how we can do our work while still remaining upbeat.  We can get big things done and still keep our joie de vivre.  We can be strong and powerful and use that for acts of compassion instead of destruction.

He teaches me when it's time to be funny and when it's time to be serious (though, admittedly, that's something I'm still working on).  He teaches me that it's okay to ask for things I need.  He's taught me that life is so much brighter when you work as hard as you play.  He's taught me that strength is so much more fulfilling when you use it to look out for others.

...and I guess that's all I have to say for now.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3353
  • stats Total Posts: 300744
  • stats Total Topics: 20689
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955