collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism  (Read 59901 times)

Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:52:23 pm »
In doing my research of recon religions, I find this seems to be very controversial subject. Does Kemeticism attempt to distinguish itself from Neopaganism? If so, are there attempts to "out" those taking a "Neopagan approach" as not being truly representative of Kemeticism?

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »
No, Kemetic Orthodoxy does not identify officially as neopagan.  However we have many pagan members.  I'd like to think that we have better things to do than go on witchhunts (pardon the expression ;)) against people who worship a little differently.

We have members who practice our faith in all sorts of ways and who practice all sorts of other religions as well as Kemetic Orthodoxy. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
Also, if I recall correctly, Hemet is often reminding us that Kemetic Orthodoxy is not an attempt to pick up the religion as it was practiced in the New Kingdom times. This is a modern, new religion - based on writings, the gods and other aspects of the past; but, many of the key parts were initiated as a result of Hemet consulting with the Kingly Ka and the Netjeru.

What I am trying to say here is ... technically we are not a Kemetic Reconstructionist group.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Naisenu »

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
We have members who practice our faith in all sorts of ways and who practice all sorts of other religions as well as Kemetic Orthodoxy. :)

I think practicing other religions is separate from this. I don't think I actually have come across any information stating that is an issue, except insofar as certain practices may be in direct conflict. How do you define your "faith" in a way that it includes all sorts of ways, but is not inclusive of Neopaganism? When you say "our faith" does that mean something different than Kemetic Orthodoxy?

Quote from: Naisenu
What I am trying to say here is ... technically we are not a Kemetic Reconstructionist group.

I'm not sure I understand how you are distinguishing yourself from Recon religions. Can you explain in more detail. Another question, is Kemetic Orthodoxy an actual orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:21:31 pm by ZigZag »

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »
We're an African Traditional Religion, not a pagan (or Neo-Pagan) one.  We're also "revivalist" and not "reconstructionist" because faith and practice are living, breathing things right here in the modern era.  The idea is that you can never reconstruct exactly what was done in antiquity.  And that even if you could, you wouldn't actually want to because the entire context is different.  If that makes any sense.  :)

Oh and Hemet has said that "Orthopraxy" is more descriptive of us than "orthodoxy" as we are much more focused on practice than on beliefs.  

Welcome to the boards.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:38:38 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:52:40 pm »
Quote from: Taji
We're an African Traditional Religion, not a pagan (or Neo-Pagan) one.

I have found similar answers looking up information of CR, Religio Romana, Hellenismos, and others.

We're also "revivalist" and not "reconstructionist" because faith and practice are living, breathing things right here in the modern era.  The idea is that you can never reconstruct exactly what was done in antiquity.

Reconstructionists seem to make the same statement that the reconstruction is modified and adapted for the modern world. I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Oh and Hemet has said that "Orthopraxy" is more descriptive of us than "orthodoxy" as we are much more focused on practice than on beliefs.

Orthopraxy is another term I have come across frequently regarding recon religions. How do you define "correct practice" so that it includes "all sorts of ways."

Welcome to the boards.  :)

Thank you!

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:43 pm »
To use a metaphor borrowed from Orthodox Judaism:

Chess has a specific set of rules.  However, within that paradigm is room for infinite creativity.

Or another metaphor that I just came up with:

If you were to look at any apartment building, you'd see that all of the units are laid out exactly the same.  However, no two are alike because of how the tenants chose to work their space.  They all have the same framework to start with, but they used it in ways that made sense to them.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:02 pm »
I've heard the same analogy with sonnets.  Sonnets have a very particular rhyme and rhythm scheme.  You deviate from that; it's not a sonnet anymore.  But within that, you are free to say whatever you like.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 06:07:38 pm »
I mean, it's not an exact metaphor, because one could argue that Kemetic Orthodoxy is the kind of landlord that would let you knock down a wall or two, as long as it's not load-bearing. ;)
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:09:51 pm »
*hee*  I like your analogy better.  :)  And I can't remember where I heard the sonnet thing, which is bothering me.  I think it may have been in one of the Madeleine L'Engle books, but I don't remember the context.  I just always liked it, I guess.
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 06:10:34 pm »

To use a metaphor borrowed from Orthodox Judaism:

Chess has a specific set of rules.  However, within that paradigm is room for infinite creativity.

Or another metaphor that I just came up with:

If you were to look at any apartment building, you'd see that all of the units are laid out exactly the same.  However, no two are alike because of how the tenants chose to work their space.  They all have the same framework to start with, but they used it in ways that made sense to them.

So then there are boundaries that must be adhered to if one was going to be considered Kemetic. Am I correct? How does Witchcraft, Ceremonial Magic, Eclecticism, New Ageism, and Occultism fall within those boundaries?

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »
As far as I know, our boundaries don't affect or concern other belief systems.  After all, who are we to tell others what to do?
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:16:55 pm »

As far as I know, our boundaries don't affect or concern other belief systems.  After all, who are we to tell others what to do?

No, that is not what I mean. I meant the incorporation or blending of these practices or forms of thought with Kemeticism and it still being Kemetic.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:17:56 pm »
Quote from: ZigZag

So then there are boundaries that must be adhered to if one was going to be considered Kemetic.

Well, perhaps to be considered Kemetic Orthodox, but there are plenty of people who follow Kemetic paths who aren't members of the House of Netjer.  And I don't think (and doubt they would either) that what we practice really has much to say about what other people practice.  We really only "worry" about our own stuff.

And we don't really use the word "Kemeticism" either.  I don't know the whole story, but I've heard it has racial overtones and means something different.  "Kemetism" is closer, I think.  But someone please correct me if I am wrong on that because I don't remember where I heard it.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:20:08 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »

Well, perhaps to be considered Kemetic Orthodox, but there are plenty of people who follow Kemetic paths who aren't members of the House of Netjer.  And I don't think (and doubt they would either) that what we practice really has much to say about what other people practice.  We really only "worry" about our own stuff.  

What is a basic definition of Kemeticism that includes what the the House of Netjer does and all other Kemetic paths?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:22:02 pm by ZigZag »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal