collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

 
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism  (Read 59899 times)

Offline Bestekeni

  • Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 06:23:53 pm »
Ahh, I finally understand what you're asking.

Like I said in my original reply, many Shemsu (including myself) practice other faiths in addition to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  However, we keep things separate -- we do not combine practices.

If you combine Kemetic practices and other practices, I'm sure it can be considered some sort of Kemetic practice (we certainly are not the only modern form of Kemetic faith), but it is not Kemetic Orthodoxy.

(Edit: haha, beaten by Taji while I was busy fussing over word choices :) )

Keep in mind, this is just my view on things.  I am by no means an official spokesperson for the House.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Taji

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 06:25:59 pm »
Well, what I said about the word "Kemeticism" aside, I would imagine that any faith or belief system that didn't in some way honor Kemetic deities and somehow incorporate a sense of Ma'at wouldn't be Kemetic.  But like I said, who is and isn't Kemetic isn't really something I devote a lot of time to worrying about. If someone tells me they're Kemetic, I tend to just accept that at face value whether they're Kemetic Orthodox or not.  

Quote from: Bestekeni


Keep in mind, this is just my view on things.  I am by no means an official spokesperson for the House.


Same here.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:28:06 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 06:27:09 pm »
Quote from: Taji
And we don't really use the word "Kemeticism" either.  I don't know the whole story, but I've heard it has racial overtones and means something different.  "Kemetism" is closer, I think.  But someone please correct me if I am wrong on that because I don't remember where I heard it.  

I think I missed that in your edit. If someone could clarify this it would be great. I certainly do not want to offend by using incorrect terms.

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 06:29:47 pm »
Quote from: Taji
Well, what I said about the word "Kemeticism" aside, I would imagine that any faith or belief system that didn't in some way honor Kemetic deities and somehow incorporate a sense of Ma'at wouldn't be Kemetic.  But like I said, who is and isn't Kemetic isn't really something I devote a lot of time to worrying about. If someone tells me they're Kemetic, I tend to just accept that at face value whether they're Kemetic Orthodox or not.  

So then Kemeticism (or Kemetism) is any religious, spiritual, or occult practice which performs rituals associated with Egyptian deities in some way?

Offline Taji

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:29:49 pm »
I'm hoping someone will clarify as well.  Because I know I heard that somewhere and don't remember where. I google-searched it and didn't find anything, so maybe I dreamt it.  :)  And you haven't given offense.  I always figure people would rather have more info than less.  Of course now I feel silly because I can't find what I'm talking about.
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Taji

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 06:31:58 pm »
Quote from: ZigZag
Quote from: Taji
Well, what I said about the word "Kemeticism" aside, I would imagine that any faith or belief system that didn't in some way honor Kemetic deities and somehow incorporate a sense of Ma'at wouldn't be Kemetic.  But like I said, who is and isn't Kemetic isn't really something I devote a lot of time to worrying about. If someone tells me they're Kemetic, I tend to just accept that at face value whether they're Kemetic Orthodox or not.  

So then Kemeticism (or Kemetism) is any religious, spiritual, or occult practice which performs rituals associated with Egyptian deities in some way?


I don't actually feel qualified to define it.  Again, keeping to the philosophy of not worrying about how others choose to organize their own faith and practices.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:32:58 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 06:33:36 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
Ahh, I finally understand what you're asking.

Like I said in my original reply, many Shemsu (including myself) practice other faiths in addition to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  However, we keep things separate -- we do not combine practices.

If you combine Kemetic practices and other practices, I'm sure it can be considered some sort of Kemetic practice (we certainly are not the only modern form of Kemetic faith), but it is not Kemetic Orthodoxy.

(Edit: haha, beaten by Taji while I was busy fussing over word choices :) )

Keep in mind, this is just my view on things.  I am by no means an official spokesperson for the House.

Sorry I missed this one. Gong back to my reply to Taji, any practice that incorporates Egyptian Gods is then Kemetic?

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 06:37:52 pm »
Quote from: Taji
I don't actually feel qualified to define it.  Again, keeping to the philosophy of not worrying about how others choose to organize their own faith and practices.  

I can understand that as a personal approach, but to be able to make an outsider (like myself) understand the difference between the Kemetic religion and a Wiccan practice that incorporates Egyptian Deities it is important I think. Especially if the idea is that the the Kemetic religion is an African Traditional Religion and not Neopaganism.

Offline Bestekeni

  • Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 06:39:01 pm »
It... can be, I guess?  Even though words are important heka and all that, I don't know if what you call what you do is as important as what you do and the impact that it has on your life and the lives of others.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Kefetmisenu

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »
Quote from: ZigZag
Quote from: Taji
I don't actually feel qualified to define it.  Again, keeping to the philosophy of not worrying about how others choose to organize their own faith and practices.  

I can understand that as a personal approach, but to be able to make an outsider (like myself) understand the difference between the Kemetic religion and a Wiccan practice that incorporates Egyptian Deities it is important I think. Especially if the idea is that the the Kemetic religion is an African Traditional Religion and not Neopaganism.


The main difference is how we incorporate ancient rituals, texts, etc. Also you'll notice in Kemetic Orthodoxy we use different names for the gods and goddesses. There are more but I'mm too lazy to list em all.
Kefetmisenu
Sat Heru-wer her Hethert-Sekhmet
Gothic horror writer and artist. Icon is my own artwork

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 06:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
It... can be, I guess?  Even though words are important heka and all that, I don't know if what you call what you do is as important as what you do and the impact that it has on your life and the lives of others.

I think you lost me. Are you then saying the Kemeticism is not a religion but a form of personal spirituality defined by the individual?

Offline Bestekeni

  • Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 06:46:28 pm »
I don't think there's one answer to that.  That's why I'm saying the content of your practices are more important than what you call it.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Taji

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 06:47:20 pm »
Ah.  I see where you're coming from now.  I think a difference between something like Tameran Wicca and Kemetic Orthodoxy would be the "cultural" (for the lack of a better word) aspect if that makes any sense.  Tameran Wicca still has the culture, or maybe "framework" is a better word, of Wicca.  They do rituals the Wiccan way and cast circles and that sort of thing.  While our cultural orientation or framework is more in line with (though not in any way identical to) that of ancient Kemet and other ATRs in general.  I'm not explaining that as well as I'd like and you could probably write book on it, but does that make any sense?

But still even saying that, we are who we are and they are who they are.  Kemetic Orthodoxy isn't Tameran Wicca and vice versa.  I think the academic discussion of differences in framework is interesting, but fundamentally it's more about finding the place where your heart is at home.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:51:00 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Taji

  • Divined Remetj
  • Country: us
Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 06:48:31 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
I don't think there's one answer to that.  That's why I'm saying the content of your practices are more important than what you call it.


Yeah, what she said.  :)

I love it when we're on the same page, Tek.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy vs. Neopaganism
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 06:48:31 pm »
Quote from: Kefetmisenu
Quote from: ZigZag
Quote from: Taji
I don't actually feel qualified to define it.  Again, keeping to the philosophy of not worrying about how others choose to organize their own faith and practices.  

I can understand that as a personal approach, but to be able to make an outsider (like myself) understand the difference between the Kemetic religion and a Wiccan practice that incorporates Egyptian Deities it is important I think. Especially if the idea is that the the Kemetic religion is an African Traditional Religion and not Neopaganism.


The main difference is how we incorporate ancient rituals, texts, etc. Also you'll notice in Kemetic Orthodoxy we use different names for the gods and goddesses. There are more but I'mm too lazy to list em all.

So the only real difference between Kemetic Orthodoxy and what is generally considered Neopagan is a difference in ritual form and the name used for the Gods and Goddesses? So how is Kemetic Orthodoxy not a form of Neopaganism?

 


* Board Stats

  • stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal