collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Patron Gods  (Read 8654 times)

Patron Gods
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:37 pm »
Hotep!

I was wondering what certain Gods were the patrons of different things. (So that i can connect better to them and ask certain things to them)

Patron of:

Love (preferablly male):
Protection:
Animals:

I was also wondering if Seth is the Patron of Homosexuals due to his bisexuality. (oh yeah, how do you say "thank you" in egyptian too?)

Thanks!

Homage to thee,
O thou glorious Being,
Thou who art dowered,
with all sovereignty...

Djedefset: "The Strength of Set"

The "adopted" son of   [color:#FF0000] Neith[/color],  [color:#000099]Sobek [/color],  [color:#FF6600]Seth [/color] :P

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Patron Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
Hotep :)

With regard to your last wonderment, actually several of the Names are bisexual or androgynous altogether :) The fact that we think of any one or other as "male" or "female" is how They manifest to us for better interaction.

Lots of Names are involved with protection, depends on what specific kind. Protection from disease, protection for children, protection from financial ruin, protection from magical danger, protection from physical danger, protection in form of self-defense....some Names overlap, some are more apt to deal with one or other of these.

Love--hmmmm heh....We don't have a "love" god or goddess as say the Greeks or Romans did with Aphrodite and Eros or Venus and Cupid. Hethert is associated with beauty, Min with fertility (not just sexual potency), but both Hethert and Aset are mothers, and wives devoted to Their husbands.

Our gods are not so easily pigeonholeable as all that :)

Sometimes One or Other Name might point us to another Name more suited to what we need.

Senebty
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:07:39 pm »
I just saw a picture of Min, and i'm guessing egyptians were pretty open about the birds and the bees, right? (It made me laugh for a while too, lol) And i understand the whole male and female aspect to the gods, but was Seth really the patron of Homosexuality, because it's nice to ask someone (Especially a god) on the subject.
Thanks for the help!
Homage to thee,
O thou glorious Being,
Thou who art dowered,
with all sovereignty...

The "adopted" son of   [color:#FF0000] Neith[/color],  [color:#000099]Sobek [/color],  [color:#FF6600]Seth [/color] :P

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:44 pm »
Hotep

We don't have a "patron" god of Homosexuality. That does not mean that one cannot ask God of your choice about the issue or anything else really, but I suspect that They would not understand why we think Homosexuals need patrons. That notion did not exist in ancient times. And while our gods are aware of US as males and females, I think, I am not 100% certain They see Themselves like that. At least, not in the way we might.

But as I say--one can ask God about anything :)

Senebty
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:25:11 pm »
Hotep, Djedef.

As Ki Sedjemes stated, the Names of Netjer are not easy to pin down.  They all have so many realms of influence, some of it seemingly contradictory.

My recommendation is to pray to Netjer in it's entirety for guidance.  Eventually, as you listen, you will notice certain Names are more responsive to your concerns.  It may be those Names have influence over the realm you are asking for help with, and are willing to lend a hand for awhile; or it may be those Names have absolutely nothing at all to do with what you want help with, but are your parents or beloveds and are willing to help for that reason.  With Netjer, you never can tell who will pop up.

If you still feel that you want some specific names to work with, you might try:

Tem, The Great He/She - was the first Name created from the Nun, all other Names are eminations of Tem.  It is Tem we refer to when we talk about Netjer in the abstract.

Hethert is love, and joy, and beauty, and sex.  I think She would understand more than some might expect about all types of love.

Set is considered to be bi-sexual, but I don't know if I personally would feel comfortable talking to him about love.  Set isn't a very restful Name.

For protection,  I belive you said you were intersted in Sobek?  He's about as protective as it gets, in my opinion. (Not to say there aren't others equally protective).  You might also try Sekhmet (the Avenger), Khonsu (mental protection, and He kicks butt too), Aset (Magical protection), Ra (burns the isfet right out of you) or any of the Herus.

For animals, I generally go to the Name most closely associated with that specific animal.  There is not one Name in charge of all living beings, although any of the creator gods come closest.  If you have an animal in mind, let us know, and we can point you in the right general direction.

Blessings,

Catlin

TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:04:03 am »
I'd like to say something about the whole Set and sexuality thing based on my experiences and based on somethings Hemet herself has said.

Set is raw emotion and therefore sex in its purest form. He is not homosexuality nor is He heterosexuality but that raw power that ALL sexuality consists of. Would I talk to Set about love? Yes, and not just because He is my Father either. He is that kind of love that sets fire to your soul, all consuming raw passion.  
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline MeritAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:30:21 am »
Quote from: Metitaitui
I'd like to say something about the whole Set and sexuality thing based on my experiences and based on somethings Hemet herself has said.

Set is raw emotion and therefore sex in its purest form. He is not homosexuality nor is He heterosexuality but that raw power that ALL sexuality consists of. Would I talk to Set about love? Yes, and not just because He is my Father either. He is that kind of love that sets fire to your soul, all consuming raw passion.  

QFT.

Also the ancients did not share modern day's societal views on homosexuality, bisexuality, transgender.... that we do today. Therefore to make a blanket statement about a Name because of a modern translation or rather a modern INTERPRETATION of a translastion will only lead to frustration because as has been said before - you cannot pigeonhole Netjer.

Senebty,
MeritAset - The One Whom Aset Loves
Sat Aset, Meryt Heru-Wer her NebtHet

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:35 am »
Quote from: Caitlin
Ra (burns the isfet right out of you)
This sounds like an advertising catchphrase. :D
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:23:25 am »
I can see the signs by the highway now:

Ra
Burns
the Isfet
Right Out
Of You
Try Burma Shave!

lol

Homosexuality is a modern conceit, something that really rose to prevalence in the McCarthy era as something to be feared once the Commies were gone.  Such distinctions were not really made, as far as my reading has indicated, in ancient times.  As Meti has stated, Set is raw power.  He is not bound by the modern limitations that we put on our sexuality like homo-, hetero-, vegi-, etcetera.  He is chaos and energy and power and passion all rolled into one.  As Meti said, and as Hemet (AUS) has said, he is pure sex (in all its forms) and as such is not pigeon-holeable.   To describe Him as simply the God of Homosexuality is to severely limit Him and reduce Him.  I have asked Set about this tendency that we have, as humans, to want to pigeonhole things and quantify them and draw associations, and His response was that we tend to draw parallels and make associations in the ways that make us most comfortable with something.  If you prefer to see Set as ONLY the God of Homosexuality, nothing we House of Netjer members say will dissuade you from doing so, but please be aware that He is NOT limited to such constraints, nor would He ever (again, UPG) call Himself the God of Homosexuality.  His response would probably be more along the lines of "Meh, whatever..." if asked to identify his sexual orientation.

As for the statue of Min that gave you mirth, Min is not about sex, but rather about Fertility and Fecundity (as per discussion with Hemet (AUS) ).  The enlarged phallus on Min's statue represents (UPG alert!) His capability to make things grow, it is not intended as a representation of prowess in the sexual arena as many believe.

As Kai-Imakhu Sedjemes has indicated, the Names fill many different aspects of many different roles, not limiting themselves to solely one job.  If you would like more information about the Names, try the Wepwawet Wiki page.  It has quite a bit of good information.
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Taahahermafdet

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:21:44 pm »
Quote from: MeritAset
you cannot pigeonhole Netjer.

^^^THIS^^^

Ást,
Ta'aha
Oh Serpent! I am the flame which shineth upon the Opener of hundreds of thousands of years, and the standard of the god Tenpu, the standard of young plants and flowers. Depart ye from me, for I am the divine Mafdet.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:39 pm »
Hotep everyone!

Just to clear things up, I was not trying to label Seth as the "Gay god", that would be a poor decision on my behalf since he controls the weather and chaos. (From what I heard) I just wanted to know if he was associated with the subject, since certain websites list him as the patron of such activity.

On top of all this, I did have a UPG with Seth, and like most of you said, he wasn’t too pleased on how I had viewed him but he was accepting of my own homosexual tendencies.

(Since a lot of you brought this topic up)-->, As for homosexuality itself I feel that although the "gay movement" may seem popular in today’s ages, it has appeared many times in history as well. The site below specifies the tomb of a possibly the first recorded gay couple:
http://www.egyptology.com/niankhkhnum_khnumhotep/floorplan.html
(Click on the embrace picture listed to see)
Or they could have been just brothers or good friends, but none the less it could be possible.

(Awetitu I'm sorry if I offended you by laughing at Min, it was the first time I had seen a picture of that God.)
Homage to thee,
O thou glorious Being,
Thou who art dowered,
with all sovereignty...

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 02:59:42 pm »
Quote from: Djedefset
Awetitu I'm sorry if I offended you by laughing at Min, it was the first time I had seen a picture of that God.

No offence taken, Djedefset.  Truth be told, I chuckled too when I first saw a statue of Min, but despite the temptation to grasp at the obvious (no pun intended) the meaning behind his depiction is different than one you'd expect. :-)
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:41 pm »
(Lol!)Thanks for the help!
Homage to thee,
O thou glorious Being,
Thou who art dowered,
with all sovereignty...

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »
The enlarged phallus on Min's statue represents (UPG alert!) His capability to make things grow,

That just tickled me pink!!!!
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »
You know, I was actually talking to Set about this the other day.  I don't usually get a lot of talk-back from the gods, unless they feel the need to introduce my head to a 2x4.  I figured if anyone would be willing to use the 2x4, it would be Set, and he doesn't seem to have bothered with it yet.  I don't think he minds being the homosexual/bisexual/I'll-F-Whattever-I-Want god, but, yeah, like everyone else has pointed out, he won't fit in the pidgeon hole.  But, if you want Someone to chat with on the subject, he seems as good as Anyone.  

Yes, homosexual acts have occured all throughout human history, but human concepts about human sexuality have varied greatly according to the culture and period.  When reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, for example, people tend to read the Pardoner as gay.  With our modern terminology, he almost certainly is, but it's necessary to remember that, to the people of the period, it wouldn't be a matter of him being homosexual (an orientation) it would be about him being a [censored] (someone who is involved in a certain act.)  

At some times and places, it matters that the thing is an apple.  At other times and places, it matters that it's a fruit that falls off the tree and hits you in the head.  It's still an apple, but people's perception of the apple changes their experience of the apple.  We assume that ours is right because it's an apple, but that doesn't invalidate the other viewpoint.  

If I had to guess about Set's sexuality (and, honestly, I'd rather not, but since we're discussing it) I figure he's probably a lot like a lot of the straight men that I've slept with.  (Or maybe I should say the "straight" men...)  

(Oh no.  I've just had a mental image of him coming home early from a hard day of storm making to play around with a friend before Nebt-Het comes home and catches him.)
Child of Sekhmet-HetHert, Beloved of Amun-Ra and Khonsu

¿Que es la vida? Un frenesí.
Qué es la vida? Una ilusión,
Una sombra, una ficción,
Que el mayor bien,  es pequeño;
Que toda la vida es sueño,
Y los sueños, sueños son

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288214
  • stats Total Topics: 19543
  • stats Total Categories: 8