collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Creation of Shemsu-Ankh?  (Read 25347 times)

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Creation of Shemsu-Ankh?
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:49:18 am »
Em hotep,

Why was the title and function of Shemsu-Ankh created? What is its purpose in Kemetic Orthodoxy?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:50:13 am by JewelofAset »
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Sopdetmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Creation of Shemsu-Ankh?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:31 am »
Em hotep,

This is a level of membership in the faith, different from shemsu.

A Shemsu is a Remetj who underwent the ritual of parent divination  and who made vows to  to its parent netjer. The vows of shemsu is a personal commitment to honor its parents netjeru first, before all other deities and practice Maat. The shemsu recognizes the Nisut at this time as a teacher in the faith to learn the tradition and ritual. The shemsu can continue to simultaneously practice a different religion or honor other deities of another tradition.

The shemsu-ankh (who is a shemsu before) recognizes Nisut as its teacher and its spiritual leader, and serves the community and its parents netjer. This level of membership is the subject of a special rite known as "Weshem-IB (weighing of the heart) and includes specific vows. Ritual made only in real life. only shemsu-ankh are eligible for the priesthood in the faith.

Senebty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sopdetmuti »
Sopdetmuti
"My two Mothers are effective for me."
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet her Bast, meryt Amun-Ra
Followed beginners classes from July 2006 to January 2007.
RPD March 27, 2007 - Reiki Master

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:35:50 am »
Thank you for your reply.  

Perhaps I should have worded my question differently because that did not answer my question.  

What I'm asking is, what was the position of Shemsu-Ankh created for?  Why is there a level of Shemsu-Ankh membership?  What is the reason for having this level of membership?  

I hope this clarifies my question.  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:36:58 am by JewelofAset »
Sat Aset

Offline Sopdetmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:43:07 am »
Em hotep,

I suppose that the level exist for to propose two different forms of commitments, so that everyone finds its place in the faith. Shemsu-ankh represents the level of full membership or maximum.

Does that answer your question better?
  :blush:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sopdetmuti »
Sopdetmuti
"My two Mothers are effective for me."
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet her Bast, meryt Amun-Ra
Followed beginners classes from July 2006 to January 2007.
RPD March 27, 2007 - Reiki Master

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:16:52 am »
Yes.  

Thank you.  
Sat Aset

Offline Menekh

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:37:58 am »
Em Hotep JewelofAset.

In addition to what Sopdet shared, there is a little more about it here on the Kemetic Orthodox Terms page.  Much about Shemsu-ankh-hood is oathbound - not just for secrecy sake, but also because some commitments between men and Netjer are so very personal, and just don't make sense until you have done it.  A bad analogy might be trying to explain WoW to someone who doesn't know anything about it.

From one perspective, the experience of becoming Shemsu-ankh also helps one to begin preparation for the priesthood if that is something that is desired by both the person and Netjer.  Shemsu-ankh are also considered "elders" of the faith and exist, in part, to serve the Temple in many varied ways.  We make a commitment to put the Temple first before any other spiritual practices we may have.  I think there were some old threads about it somewhere around here, but don't remember where.  

Senebty :)

M
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:28 am »
Another way to look at it is when you become shemsu you make a commitment to serve your gods.  When you become shemsu-ankh, you also make a commitment to serve the House of Netjer and its people.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »
just a  bit of clarification:

A member who is a shemsu-ankh is a shemsu.  Not better than, not more than, not higher than, just a shemsu who has undergone another ritual and taken another oath.

There are only two types of people associated with the House of Netjer.  Shemsu (who are full members) and Remetj (who are the friends of and other people associated with the faith, but who are not, for many different reasons, including differences in beliefs, other religious constraints, age, and more, are not members of our faith).

Note also, that all W'ab, Imakhu, and Kai-Imakhu are also all shemsu.  No one is more of a member than anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Padjaiemweru »
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline MeritAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 04:02:35 pm »
Quote from: Padjaiemweru
just a  bit of clarification:

A member who is a shemsu-ankh is a shemsu.  Not better than, not more than, not higher than, just a shemsu who has undergone another ritual and taken another oath.

There are only two types of people associated with the House of Netjer.  Shemsu (who are full members) and Remetj (who are the friends of and other people associated with the faith, but who are not, for many different reasons, including differences in beliefs, other religious constraints, age, and more, are not members of our faith).

Note also, that all W'ab, Imakhu, and Kai-Imakhu are also all shemsu.  No one is more of a member than anyone else.

Thank you for adding that Padjai. When I was divined, there was no Shemsu-Ankh status. I can't for the life of me remember WHY it was brought in, but for Shemsu like me, who physically cannot attend Tawy to undergo Weshem-Ib, it can be a sticking point sometimes, especially when other Shemsu appear to make out that it's somewhat "better" because it's necessary for people to go through to become clergy. If I recall correctly, Hemet said that ALL Shemsu are priests of the Names. Shemsu-Ankh also serve the KO community and that's the main difference.

I was always of the understanding that pre-Shemsu-Ankh days, taking Shemsu vows was the equivalent of Shemsu-Ankh status Gods-wise. And upon re-reading my Beginner's lessons it does indeed appear to look like the difference between Remetj and Shemsu is that Remetj can continue to be multifaith while Shemsu serve Netjer. Of course, I don't have a copy of current Beginner's Lessons to compare it to because, until now, it wasn't a big deal to me. But now curiousity has got me so I think I'll go look.

Senebty,
MeritAset - The One Whom Aset Loves
Sat Aset, Meryt Heru-Wer

Offline HenutPtah

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »
...Remetj (who are the friends of and other people associated with the faith, but who are not, for many different reasons, including differences in beliefs, other religious constraints, age, and more, are not members of our faith).

I would argue that remetj can also be members of the faith, but have chosen (for whatever reason) to not make the commitment to put Netjer and Kemetic Orthodoxy first.

Henut
"Bread deals with living things, with giving life, with growth, with the seed, the grain that nurtures.  It is not coincidence that we say bread is the staff of life." ~Lionel Poilane

Offline Zebi

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:30 pm »
Quote from: MeritAset
Thank you for adding that Padjai. When I was divined, there was no Shemsu-Ankh status. I can't for the life of me remember WHY it was brought in, but for Shemsu like me, who physically cannot attend Tawy to undergo Weshem-Ib, it can be a sticking point sometimes, especially when other Shemsu appear to make out that it's somewhat "better" because it's necessary for people to go through to become clergy.

You are not the only one who feels this way, Merit.

I respect institution of the Weshim-Ib, and what the Shemsu-Ankh vows stand for. However, there are times that I question the idea of Shemsu-Ankh being considered "elders" of the faith. I have seen Shemsu who have been with the faith for a year or less undergo the Weshim-Ib. There are also Shemsu who have been with us for a number of years who have not had the opportunity to take the vows. I should emphasize here that becoming Shemsu-Ankh is a choice; it is not mandatory. My point is this - is the Shemsu who has been with the faith for years any less of an "elder" than the Shemsu-Ankh who's only been around for a short time?

There are many of us who wish to undergo the Weshim-Ib, but for one reason or another, can not. I dearly wish to undergo the Weshim-Ib and take the vows. However, I'm in school, and will be in classes over the summer. I am also on disability, which means that I have a fixed income, and can only put so much money aside. Going to Wep Ronpet this year will not be possible for me this year.

Senebty!
Djehutyzebetj - "Djehuty's mirth"
sat Djehuty, meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Metitaitui

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:40 pm »
Quote from: Zebi

I respect institution of the Weshim-Ib, and what the Shemsu-Ankh vows stand for. However, there are times that I question the idea of Shemsu-Ankh being considered "elders" of the faith. I have seen Shemsu who have been with the faith for a year or less undergo the Weshim-Ib. There are also Shemsu who have been with us for a number of years who have not had the opportunity to take the vows. I should emphasize here that becoming Shemsu-Ankh is a choice; it is not mandatory. My point is this - is the Shemsu who has been with the faith for years any less of an "elder" than the Shemsu-Ankh who's only been around for a short time?

I agree. I would not consider myself an elder as I've only been here for going on 4 years. Personally to me the vows represent my service to the community. Not saying that those who are not Shemsu-Ankh can't or won't be there for the community just that this is what the vows mean to me.
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline Menekh

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
Em Hotep.

I think the word "elder" comes with a lot of baggage in Western secular and religious meaning. One has to take the word in the context in which it is used and it can have different meaning in a different religious/cultural setting.  In Kemetic Orthodoxy, I might argue that these vows place a Shemsu in a specific service role to Netjer and the Temple in a way that is very personal and has nothing to do with the western idea of "rank" (which is also a very loaded word).  

I believe it is a specific vow to a specific type of service that is very personal - a sort of sacred contract between the Shemsu, their community, and Netjer.  It has little if anything to do with rank, seniority, age, or greater or lesser than, etc.  It's a personal vow to service sought by an individual.    That's all.

Senebty,

M
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »
Padjai, Merit and Zebi, thanks.
Aqheretbastmut
"Entering in face to face with Bast-Mut"
Sat Bast-Mut, Meryt Set her Djehuty her Sekhmet-Hethert her Ra

"The weak must have nothing to run from and the strong must always have something to strive for"
St Benedict of Nursia

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 08:22:06 pm »
Quote from: MeritAset
I was always of the understanding that pre-Shemsu-Ankh days, taking Shemsu vows was the equivalent of Shemsu-Ankh status Gods-wise. And upon re-reading my Beginner's lessons it does indeed appear to look like the difference between Remetj and Shemsu is that Remetj can continue to be multifaith while Shemsu serve Netjer.

One quick thing here, Merit, Shemsu and Shemsu-Ankh can still be multifaith. They just have to put Netjer above other faiths.

And I too have seen so many others go through the Beginner's class, get named, then go to Retreat. I too feel a pang of jealousy and "TAKE ME WITH YOU" too. I too have seen Shemsu become "Ankhed" in a year or less (it seems?) from their divination and naming. I am happy (or trying to convince myself to be happy) that I am to wait and be sure that I want to do that myself someday.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal