collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Creation of Shemsu-Ankh?  (Read 25346 times)

Offline Zebi

• Shemsu
Re: Creation of Shemsu-Ankh?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 08:32:05 pm »
Em hotep, Metitaitui and Menekh! *henu*

When I think of what being Shemsu-Ankh means, I think of the commitments made to Netjer, to the House, and to its community. What I was trying to say earlier was that I feel that "elder" is not the best term for characterizing, precisely because of the baggage that word carries.

Senebty!
Djehutyzebetj - "Djehuty's mirth"
sat Djehuty, meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 05:26:31 am »
M Htp Everyone,

Can I add some, (I hope) clarification, to this discussion?

I have been Kemetic for 12 years or so, tho not with the house, so while I am fairly junior in terms of time in HoN I personally do not feel that particularly relevant to wishing to becoming Shemsu Ankh, nor (as I do) W'ab..for which Shemsu-Ankh is an "House Rules" pre-requisite).

I do entirely sympathise with all those who fell a purely personal calling to be of more us to the House but cannot, for whatever reason get there! Like others, for whom money is the problem, I simply have  to cut back on many of the things I wanted pre-joining to effect enough savings at some future date. I may be very lucky also, in that my wife, whose faith is different is fully supportive (as I am of her)

I had many chats with longer served Members of the faith about Shemsu-Ankhh, and W'ab which is,of course only a lay function,not part of the Priesthood.

Without exception is was made clear to me that none of these inply "higher grades/levels" in the same sense as these terms would in the Armed Forces/Businesses etc. Nor should they be sought as "bright new shiny badges" to be worn with pride and be "shown-off".

The explanation I was given was that they mean a purely personal, willing acceptance of increasing levels of commitment and service, in my case also limited by the cost/distance factor.

W'ab should I ever become one seems the best way I can serve the House and the Nation, but I can only apply it is for Aset and Hemet to decide.

I do not think I am "better or more senior" than anyone else, and frequently still learn from questions asked by Beginners and visitors, as well as Shemsu. I have only put this in a personal sort of way, because I cannot speak for the other Ankhs, but I would doubt that they feel very differently.

Blessings and Senebty

Hehi
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by HehiAset »
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Sopdetmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 06:18:46 am »
Em hotep,

I would like to detail my point of view. When I say that shemsu-ankh is full membership. I think it is complete, maximum in the commitments. Because it includes additional vows, compared to the vows of shemsu. I say complete, that does not mean superior or more important.

For the netjer and in our faith, all human beings are important, whatever are their title. I think there are "shemsu" which are "shemsu-ankh" in their hearts and through their actions, even if they have not undergone the ritual for a lot of reasons (distance, money, time...).

Commitment is first to do in itself. I think that the ritual embodies and formalizes this commitment in front of Hemet and the community.

Today, I do not want to become shemsu-ankh. This choice does not mean that I don't love my kemetic orthodox family, Hemet and the netjer. This does not mean that I do not want to serve our community. But I am also related and I am committed to helping another group and family. Stay shemsu allows me to balance my commitments to both kemetic families, which are close and different.I think that's also what my two mothers wants.... i suppose.. :p

That is why I think these two levels of commitments exist to allow everyone to find its place in the faith, according to its story ... etc. And you can serve the community without become a shemsu-ankh.

Senebty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sopdetmuti »
Sopdetmuti
"My two Mothers are effective for me."
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet her Bast, meryt Amun-Ra
Followed beginners classes from July 2006 to January 2007.
RPD March 27, 2007 - Reiki Master

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:24:18 am »
Quote from: Menekh
I think the word "elder" comes with a lot of baggage in Western secular and religious meaning. One has to take the word in the context in which it is used and it can have different meaning in a different religious/cultural setting.  In Kemetic Orthodoxy, I might argue that these vows place a Shemsu in a specific service role to Netjer and the Temple in a way that is very personal and has nothing to do with the western idea of "rank" (which is also a very loaded word).  

I believe it is a specific vow to a specific type of service that is very personal - a sort of sacred contract between the Shemsu, their community, and Netjer.  It has little if anything to do with rank, seniority, age, or greater or lesser than, etc.  It's a personal vow to service sought by an individual.    That's all.

I agree with Menekh. I tend to think of "elder" as meaning "more work to do" because I certainly have been accumulating chores the older I get. I'm really not more important, I just have more stuff to do. That's my take on it.

Senebty,
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:23 am »
Hotep,

There are alot of different themes here on who what is and so forth, I will try to define these terms precisely as possible.

Remetj - The 'citizens' of Kemetic Orthodoxy (we are all Remetj) those who have completed the Beginners course and have decided  stay in the faith.

Divined Remetj -  Those who have been divined by Rite of Parent Divination to know their Parents and Beloveds.

Shemsu - Those who have taken vows to serve their Parents as Kemetic Orthodox and perform the Kemetic Orthodox Ritual of Senut to Them.

Shemsu-Ankh - Those who have been divined for at least 1 year, and have taken vows to serve Kemetic Orthodoxy and The Nisut AUS as her child. I would like to add that Weshem-Ib does not have to be done at retreat, and those who live far/lacking funds for retreat but have at least 3 new candidates for Weshem-Ib and 3 W'abu that live locally may provide travel and accomodations to have the Nisut AUS travel and perform the Weshem-Ib.

W'abu (pure ones) - The true priesthood of Kemetic Orthodoxy. W'abu are appointed from the body of Shemsu-Ankh, and must be at least 3 years from their Shemsu naming, and 1 year from Weshem-Ib. While W'abu have not been legally recognized by the Federal Government as clergy, the W'abu perform all the sacred duties that the ancient priests performed. The only duties that W'abu cannot perform is Legal Marriage, and Pastoral counselling. However W'abu can perform Kemetic Orthodox marriage blessings.

Imakhu - (reverends) These are W'abu that have been legally ordained by the House of Netjer to fulfill the duties legally required by the Federal Government. They serve on the Board for the House of Netjer corporation. Imakhu did not exist in ancient times, and were created by the Nisut AUS because US Federal law required it. Imakhu are legally ordained to officiate weddings and perform pastoral counselling.

Kai-Imakhu - (exalted reverends) Imakhu that have served for at least 3 years.

I just want to add that all members may practice any other faith/practice/religion they please whether you are Remetj or even Kai-Imakhu. The only rule to that is there is to be definite separation between any other and Kemetic Orthodox.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:34:58 pm by Herupaneb »

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 10:50:20 am »
I am sorry Paneb, you have to be a Shemsu-Ankh for at least one year before becoming a W'ab and not 3 years
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tanebet »
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 11:25:25 am »
Quote from: HehiAset

I had many chats with longer served Members of the faith about Shemsu-Ankhh, and W'ab which is,of course only a lay function,not part of the Priesthood.

Em Hotep Hehi,

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but I can assure you that W'abu are 100% priests; as specified by the designation applied by the board administrators to all W'abu.

Not only are we part of the priesthood, we are the entirety of it, as Imakhu priests, our legally ordained ministers, are also W'abu and perform the same functions in addition to their other responsibilities.

Sheesh, why's everyone always pickin' on the W'abu? Isn't it enough that we have to clean up after y'all?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 12:07:43 pm »
Hotep Tanebet,

That's correct, it's 3 years from Shemsu naming, and 1 year from Shemsu-Ankh. I'll correct it.

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 02:31:45 pm »
Quote from: Herupaneb

Shemsu-Ankh - Those who have been divined for at least 1 year, and have taken vows to serve Kemetic Orthodoxy and The Nisut AUS as her child.

Another correction on this timeframe. :)  At least as of August 2006 (it may have been different prior to this), there is no set time period before a Shemsu can become a Shemsu-Ankh.  It is recommended that the shemsu take some time to get used to their shemsu name and to get to know the community.  But no set time period between divination/naming and undergoing the Weshem-Ib.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 03:01:37 pm »
This might also help for those interested in terms: http://www.kemet.org/terms_list.html#other
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 03:35:47 am »
M Htp,Arieni and Herupaneb,

Yes I have also heard Shemsu-Ankh described as a job and it seems as good a one as any.

I am grateful, Herupaneb, for your well documented details of all the "levels" in the House and for making the point about availibily or Weshem-Ib to Internationals in their homelands. Tanebet and I have been suggesting various ways this could happen in Europe for some time and it is,genuinely, one of my hopes that if I should be accepted as one of the W'abu in due time by going again to Tawy, it may facilitate other Europeans becoming Ankhs or W'abu in future years.

Senebty

Hehi  
Hehi

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 03:42:30 am »
M Htp Taqaisenu ,

There is now!

Like others who have had the chance, I di have the privilige of briefly discussing my hopes and fears with Hemet(AUS) on the way to O'Hare last Retreat.

She made it clear that W'abification, if that is the word!, would not be discussed with anyone until after the 1 year anniversary of thier being made Shemsu-Ankh.

Why? That is like the previous question "why was Shemsu-Ankh created". One would I guess have to ask the Nisut; tho one might guess that with the growth of the Church it was considered that more "helpers" were needed.

Senebty

Hehi

Hehi

Coffin Texts

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 11:24:53 am »
BUMP! Don't want to lose this thread. :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 05:50:39 am »
Hello everyone :).

HehiAset - Thankyou for your encouraging comment that in the future it may be possible for Europeans who can not travel to Tawy to possibly be able to take vows "closer to home", as it were. Obviously, I don't know, at this point whether Netjer will wish this path for me, (I'm still waiting patiently-ish for an opportunity to take the Beginner's Class, and I may not even be able to afford the RPD, depending on how much it costs), but it was beginning to sound as though only those able to travel to Tawy would ever get the chance to take vows as Shemsu-Ankh. That is a pity, as I think it has to do with serving the community, and as the community grows, there will be more of a need for this type of service. (I may have this wrong - I'm very new here :) ).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:00 am »
Em hotep Jet. I did wonder the same question myself when I applied for beginners class, as it would be unaffordable for me to travel to Tawy House. I don't have a passport yet either. It would indeed be great if it were possible to take vows from long distance, if I decide to do so. I guess i'll wait patiently until we know. :)
You don't know what you can do until you try.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal