Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How Old is Kemeticism  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Atsu

How Old is Kemeticism
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:23:05 pm »
So I was Just watching youtube videos and a question and answer video came on and one question was "How old is the oldest religion and do people still practice it?" They answered Hinduism. Even though Kemeticism is updated and everything does it still count and how old is it really?

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: How Old is Kemeticism
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »
Em hotep Atsu,

Since Kemetic religion had a long period of not being practiced I don't think it would qualify. They would also have to factor in a lot of other polytheistic faiths that disappeared after various conversions.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
So I was Just watching youtube videos and a question and answer video came on and one question was "How old is the oldest religion and do people still practice it?" They answered Hinduism. Even though Kemeticism is updated and everything does it still count and how old is it really?

Em hotep nefer, Atsu! :)

As Zat noted, Modern Kemeticism isn't the same thing as the religion(s) practiced throughout Egypt during the Pharaonic Period. Modern Kemeticism is a Revivalism, and is across more than one axis considered distinct from the "pre-Abrahamic" religion(s) it takes its cues from, like religions belonging to the Contemporary "Pagan" movement. (Although, I feel it's worth noting here that Kemetic Orthodoxy distinguishes itself from Contemporary "Paganism" and Neopaganism, and is defined as a polytheistic Afro-Asiatic, ergo African Traditional [ATR], religion). Ancient Egyptian religion(s) are indeed thousands of years old, and among the very oldest documented religions in the world. But, unlike Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Yazdânism, etc., Ancient Egyptian religion(s) have not enjoyed anything resembling an "uninterrupted life." That is not to say that Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Yazdânism, etc., have never seen periods of turmoil which threatened their existences. But they have survived as living traditions. Ancient Egyptian religion(s) are not considered living traditions.

Now, how old Modern Kemeticism is precisely, I cannot say for certain. But I can say with relative certitude that it definitely doesn't predate the Modern "Pagan" movement of the mid-1960s. So, it may be a little older or a little younger than the initial Ásatrú and Heathenry movement, which began in the mid-1960s and culminated into something more coherent in the 1970s. Ásatrú and Heathenry have a much better-documented history among the Modern Revivals of "pre-Abrahamic" religions than Kemeticism does, alas. I imagine it will be some years still before Academia takes (more) Modern Revivals seriously enough to want to study/document Kemeticism's origins. We don't have a Ronald Hutton (a pioneering English scholar on Early Modern Britain, British folklore, pre-Christian Northern European religions, and Contemporary "Pagan" Northern European Revivalisms) for Ancient Near Eastern / Afro-Asiatic Revivalisms yet. At least, we don't have anyone like that I am aware of; I could be wrong. I imagine Ásatrú and Heathenry get more "formal attention" because of their perceived popularity among Euro-descended Americans (the documented overwhelming majority of Ásatrúars and assorted Heathens being American), and concerns over Neo-Nazi / White Supremacist elements in any and all areas of Modern Western culture(s) -- Neo-Nazis and those with racially-motivated/"nativist" politics, throughout Europe as well as America, tend to seek out "native European religions" and radicalize them to advance their separatist ideologies, and to divorce themselves / their movement from what they see as "subversive Jewish religion / foreign desert cults," etc. Modern Kemeticism very fortunately doesn't have these sorts of issues and concerns attached to it (or at least, not in the same ways and to the same degrees), but it has the unfortunate consequence of it being largely ignored by Academia and mainstream culture.

I hope this helps somewhat! ;D

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Atsu

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:38:33 pm »
Thank you, all of you I just love the responses

* Most Recent Topics