Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 12, 10/23/2009  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 12, 10/23/2009
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »
KEMET THIS WEEK – PODCAST 12

Em hotep everybody and welcome to “Kemet this Week.”

So, last week I gave you a little homework.  I asked you to think about how, in your spiritual practice and in your everyday life, you serve the gods.  If you’re like me you might have found this a deceptively tricky question.  How much of what you do on a given day can really be said to serve the gods?  Well, maybe less than you think, maybe more.

Here’s the real key; do you know what God wants?  Very few of us are blessed with some magical hot-line to the Names.  My ever-present Blackberry phone has a calendar, address book, notes, and a ‘to do’ list, but it does not have the secret agenda of the Goddess Bast complete with a step-by-step timeline for world domination.  I have to buy the upgraded model for that.  Plus, I can’t just call Her, long distance charges being what they are.  I tried asking my cats figuring they were much closer to the Lady than I, and much more clued in when it comes to the mind of the divine, but they kept insisting that Bast wants a cheeseburger.  I give up.

There were times in my spiritual life where lack of direct burning-bush levels of divine guidance frustrated me.  It almost seems like something is broken in the system, some piece of missing cause and effect.  We set out with eager hearts, ready to serve, to turn our energy into positive work.  Like the Biblical Prophet Isaiah we say, “Here I am God, send me!”  But the tickets don’t come in the mail and we find ourselves standing in the exact same place, untransformed.

Let me tell you how I got through it.  The first step was to realize that it was not some dramatic failing on my part, some spiritual deafness or undiagnosed malady.  No, we are all in this boat together.  Very few people get a hot-line to the heavens, and to be honest, I wonder if those who do might be losing a little something in the process, missing out on part of the journey.  But, if my brother is eager to serve and struggles for direction, and my sister is eager to serve but struggles for direction, who am I to complain that nobody has handed me a conveniently marked road map?  We share this search and we share this road to wisdom.  There is something powerful in that, for those willing to seek it out.

The second step is the hard part, even though it sounds like simple common sense.  I stopped waiting, and started looking.  It’s easy to sit on your butt and wait for the gods to swoop in and hand you everything you’ve ever wanted, but as the old saying goes; “you can wish into one of your hands and …” uhm … anyway.  The point is, one hand will fill up a lot faster than the other hand, and it isn’t the one with the wishes in it.  Then you have to wash your hands.

Is it frustrating, looking for divine guidance without a road map, and seeking signs without a translation guide?  Yes, it is.  But it’s also worth doing.  Here is the truth; the act of seeking transforms the seeker.  You may spend years feeling like you’re getting nowhere, but as long as you’re striving, as long as you’re trying to understand god’s will in your life and the world, as long as you’re eager to spread that will, to be an instrument of Ma’at …. you are succeeding.  The very least of our actions can have ripple effects that we scarcely understand.  A butterfly flaps its wings and a hurricane rages half a world away.  Have confidence, even when it doesn’t seem that way that your work is worthwhile.  Dare I say it?  Have faith!

Here’s something I do every morning and, if you’re looking for a place to start, it might work for you too.  I make a point as I’m setting out for the day to ask Bast (obviously you would put the Name of your own Parent or Parents here) to understand Her a little better every day and help me to serve Her will; to help me know what that will is; and to use the tools I’ve been given the very best I can.  Beyond the obvious benefits of prayer, this starts my day in a contemplative mind-set.  Because I’ve reminded myself of my goal, I am immediately more alert and more thoughtful about my Mother’s nature and Her presence in my life; and more responsive to opportunities to serve.  If you don’t already do something like this, give it a try for a week and let me know what happens.

For now, this has been “Kemet this Week” for October 23rd, 2009.  Be safe, and I’ll see you next time.

Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2979
  • stats Total Posts: 286805
  • stats Total Topics: 19440
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217