Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Revealing our true self  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
Revealing our true self
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
Hello everyone!

The reason I have written this thread, is that from time to time, I am thinking about people's fear to talk about their beliefs and religion outside the forum. In addition, some recent events in my life and threads that have been posted here played their part as well. (I am not attacking anyone!!!)

When we talk about this subject, we should consider the large amount of reasons, because of which, people are afraid to talk about their inner world.
In every community it's different, thus, the solution to every individual's problem also varies.

In many cases, people are afraid to reveal their true self because of things like isolation, judgment, and negative comments.

For example, a person who worships any sort of Paganism, practices Druidism or any other sort of things will often hear things like:"Do you worship Satan?" in the better case.
In the worst, he might hear more offensive things, being hit by someone or just isolated from the rest of the community if he tells about his beliefs in a place where most of its members are Christians, Jews . Muslim or any other belief system. (Again, no offense)
In this case, it would be better for him not to tell anyone about his true beliefs, in order not to be hurt somehow. By all means, you lie to whom to speak the truth is dangerous.
We neither have the ability to change other people's faith, nor make them think in a different way about the universe. But we can influence by asking them to look on what this religion turns its followers into.
By doing so, maybe the number of negative opinions will be decreased.

Any opinions will be most welcome.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Revealing our true self
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:34 pm »
Em hotep *henu*

On an odd note, you probably were better off posting this elsewhere, such as "All things Egypt", as this is for Hemet's (aus) blogs and podcasts and discussions about the information within.

My take on this subject is simply: I don't hide my faith nor my activity within this community. My mother knows about it, my stepfather knows, various other family members know, some of my coworkers know and those who don't simply don't ask. Every day I wear ankh earrings and every day I carry a small "statue" of Yinepu and Bast on my keychain. I'm not shoving my beliefs in anyone's nose by doing so, because my ankhs are commonly misinterpreted as crosses and no one sees my keys. But when/if people ask what I believe in and what I do I tell them. People are pretty comfortable with that side of me.

As for my other less obvious/shining parts of my true nature, that's something I hide not out of fear of rejection by others, but fear of rejecting myself. :) I'm more concerned about what I think/know/feel about me than what others think/know/feel about me.

Senebty,
Rawy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:43:02 am »
Hi Gleb!
I take another point of view.
I would never reveal my "true self",because i know that no one would understand.I believe that one can live 10 or 20 years with someone without knowing the person.The human being is a complex creature,with many sides.
So...i like to be myself,always,but i only reveal something about me when i want to,and if i can`t reveal nothing,it`s fine by me.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by myself »
All to Ra,my Father
Set shows the way
http://youtu.be/Dnsw39pz7Cc     http://youtu.be/nWzJwg-saCM

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:37:28 am »
To be honest, it sometimes makes me crazy, when people can't deal with other people's faith. Everyone's reality is different, so why can't one accept the fact that the other doesn't believe in what  he does?

But thanks for the comments! :)
Senebty,
Gleb

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 12:11:47 pm »
I know how you feel...
When i was younger,i used to listen someone talking about their faith for some time,then,when i started to talk about mine...it doesn`t work.Now,when someone with a faith different than mine,that i already know that wants to preach me, starts talking...i just say:
- I`m an atheist.Don´t believe in none of that.
They shut up and end of conversation.
If they don`t let me share,i don`t let them share,too.I think it`s fair enough.
All to Ra,my Father
Set shows the way

Offline Ra'awyserqet

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:33 pm »
Em hotep *henu*

I'm honestly not sure that either of your responses are necessarily good ones. They aren't necessarily bad ones either, however I don't think they are ones that help.

While differing beliefs should be respected, I do not think complaining about others disrespecting other beliefs necessarily makes you immune to the same complaint. Some beliefs simply do not accept the faiths of others, they will try to save you from yourself, and that's okay. It's within their belief system to believe in it, to believe you will be punished for not believing the same, and to feel the need to save as many poor souls as possible. That's perfectly okay for them, so I say let them. There are some things that the Kemetic Orthodoxy as a whole does not believe in/accept due to the way the House is and the way it was set up. As a Shemsu, it's not acceptable to put Deity X before your Parent, because as a Shemsu you take an oath to put your Parents (and Beloveds) before all others, and to put the deities of Kemet first. There are other things generally not considered acceptable due to discussions on the matters. However in cases where it is not official doctrine, such as the expectations of the Shemsu (official) versus intimacy with Netjeru (unofficial), it's a matter of opinion.
It's oftentimes when we condemn someone for something that we also end up condemning ourselves.

Nor do I think lying is exactly a good thing either. Dishonesty is against Ma'at as far as I know, but what you do/decide is up to you. I also don't think that judging people instantly based on limited information about them is a good thing (or very aligned with Ma'at), but again it's up to you what you do/don't do. When I explained Kemetic Orthodoxy to my mother and my wish to meet Shukheperas_ankhi back when I was still a Remetj, she understood. She asked questions, she took it from a place in which we both could better communicate what it was. I essentially explained my need to be a part of this faith as "I feel God is sooo big, there's no possible way it could have a personal relationship with me. So I feel that God let's me see/experience small parts of itself so that I can see/experience it at all." And that was okay. I fully expected rants, raves, etc, but she's not a strict Christian either which I didn't know until that conversation. She has some intuitive gift that her mother and grandmother had, and that's awesome because I never knew it until she felt comfortable telling me about it. And it wouldn't have ever happened if I hadn't stepped outside of my comfort zone to explain to her how I feel about my beliefs.

I think everyone sort of loses out whenever we start pointing fingers and forget to treat each other with the respect we each deserve. But that's all just me. And that's okay. :)

Senebty,
Rawy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:19:22 pm by Raawyserqet »
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:36:01 am »
Well,you`re not dealing with this christians of mine.
When one of them starts talking about Jesus,i already know that the best for both of us is that person shut up.Christians never accepts others beliefs.
Talking about religion it`s like talking about sports -Doesn`t work if you are not in the same team.

All to Ra,my Father
Set shows the way

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:38:39 am »
There though is 'dishonesty' and there is oppression.

YMMV but one who has valid reasons to fear for their lives where they are to religious discrimination, as can so often be, isn't 'dishonest' by doing whatever they are to protect themselves.

Not everyone is blessed with understanding *people* even where Gods themselves, or anything Divine for that matter, may not have a slightest issue with the individual. Some times, the risks are far beyond the 'I just don't want to talk about things', and judgment in that instance should be entirely put aside, because a lot of the times people *really* aren't in a spot to be more open or 'honest' about their spiritual path; not because of wishing to be secretitive, but because being more open about it could be taken as a 'cause' for very physical discrimination against them and prove traumatic at best, if not endangering their lives.

Just pointing that out; again, it's nothing against anyone posting in the thread, I'm just pointing out that social factors *are* very real in how an individual navigates their spiritual life and whom they share with and how, and while not in their shoes it's better to reserve judgment on what constitutes 'dishonesty', because at whiles what is perceived as 'honesty' would put the individual in question into dangerous position to be in and it is *first and foremost* our duty as kemetics to ensure we still *continue to exist* in the world as is, for it is through our khat the Netjer may speak in the world and act.
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 05:43:49 am »
Oh,i totally agree with you,Vaalea.
The most important,for me,is the person who lives with me accept my faith.I can`t live on a war zone.The rest...
All to Ra,my Father
Set shows the way

Offline Ra'awyserqet

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:07:32 am »
Em hotep *henu*

As many of us have Christian family, friends, and/or come from Christianity ourselves, I do not think categorizing all Christians as the same is justified. Words should be chosen carefully, especially when speaking about a diverse group of people. That's why when I posted what I did I repeatedly said "I think", because what I'm saying has only to do with what I personally think, not with anyone else within or without the House. :)

While I understand the need to protect ourselves within society (as I said before I do not flaunt my beliefs and as a result of that I do not get condemned for them), however I think we should still strive to be honest. Claiming to be something you are not is awkward at best, especially for people who are already struggling to be who/what they are. So I think that maybe, rather than making something up about what you believe, you could choose to pick the truth in what you normally say. You could choose to say, "I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested in Christianity or Jesus. It isn't what I personally believe in and I don't want to talk about it." That's how I take a lot of New Age Pagan stuff, because to me I find some of it offensive. However I won't condemn someone, or a group, for something that they cannot help. The Pagan movement can't help that 90% of everything is New Age to the point that deities like Hekate, Sekhmet, Isis, Loki, etc, become twisted forms of their original selves. It's the fault of each person who refuses to look passed what they want the deities to say and do, what they want to get out of the deities, etc. And even then, it's only their fault if you don't consider how driven towards self- and instant-gratification our society is right now.

(Also, as a form of note, the khat is the corpse.)

I understand and am grateful for your respectfulness, understanding, and input into this.

With all respect,
Senebty,
Rawy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:08:22 am by Raawyserqet »
(They/them)

Fedw Diviner

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 08:51:31 am »
I agree that being honest is important and that our duty as Kemetics is to continue the existence, but some comments made me understand that revealing the whole truth may not be the most wise turn.

I think I will just reply: "I believe in universal balance." if people will ask me about my belief system.

And Vaalea - thanks for your comment.
Senebty,
Gleb

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:06:30 am »
And i just learned that honesty is not such a great idea.
Thanks.
All to Ra,my Father
Set shows the way

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:03:44 am »
Em Hotep!

It can be difficult for each of us to strike the right balance of 'what to reveal' and 'what to keep hidden'.  It may depend on where we live.  If we live in an area in which persecution of religious minorities exists, then obviously for one's safety, discretion must be used.  But if we dwell in a country in which there is relative freedom, then life becomes much easier.

I think too, there is degrees of 'honesty'.  To quietly reply to a proselytizing Christian, "I'm happy for you that you have found a path that works for you.  However, I have my own path," may leave one's dignity intact without inviting a fight.

That said, I'm as 'out' as 'out' can be, without 'flaunting'.  Perhaps originally, many years ago, this was encouraged by a very unspoken partner.  However, now I have no regrets about this.

I think it gets easier as one gets older to find the right balance for oneself.  

Meresankh
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2846
  • stats Total Posts: 281563
  • stats Total Topics: 18963
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 106
  • stats Most Online: 217