collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 73
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A Word on RPD  (Read 140961 times)

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: A Word on RPD
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39:51 pm »
mHtp Cirrus!

Quote from: Cirrus
Overall, I feel that such introspection is what keeps us honest with ourselves, and while it's sometimes a kick-in-the-butt to our egos and our feelings of stability, it might help us better understand Ma'at and how it's not always a self-guided journey.

Although my expected Parent--Amunet did show up, it wasn't exactly how i'd figured. And even then, She was so unusual and obscure, that the Nisut said She may just be a form of Mut, under a title or something. For that matter, I was almost certain Sekhmet was a Mother of mine, and even Hemet said it looked like She was my second Mother, but had stepped back to Beloved (how that works is beyond me.. Sekhmet always called Herself my Parent). And there's a long string of Netjeru that have made it apparent They've got some connection to me in more than just passing, but not a single one of Them showed up as a Beloved.

Just two Names, total. And yet some people have 6 or more?

Part of the reason i took the RPD was because i wanted to know a little more about myself. I was very confused at first, because of all the uncertainty, but anymore i realize the technicality of the matter isn't what counts. It's the actual relationship with Netjer that matters, no matter what you call it.

Heck, i forget where i read it, but i remember some old reference i found where there was a funerary text/inscription in a tomb where one man claimed to have 26 Names that loved/claimed him. 26!? Can you imagine?

That just goes to show that even when we think we've got it right, we can never be quite sure, on any level. We're only human afterall, and fallible. :)
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29:06 am »
I had joked for most of my life that I was raised by cats, as there have always been cats in my life and my relationship with them has been sibling-close for the most part.  I have always had a passion for books and learning, and my second home (and often my only solace in a world that has repeatedly made no sense to me) has always been behind a door of ink and paper.  

I had no expectations or preconceived notions when I approached my RPD.  I simply answered a call.  How surprising it is to learn that my life's passions have been a reflection of the Names that have taken an interest in me and that my observation in jest is not quite as much as joke as I thought it was.

Or perhaps not a surprise at all.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:49 pm »
I would just like to interject:  

Allowing someone else to choose who can and will have power in any facet of your life is a huge thing; a very powerful transaction.  You must accept the responsibility of any and all outcomes, as well as you must realise that you are giving your power away to someone else who may or may not have your best interests at heart.

I do believe this is a very important thing to keep in mind.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:49 pm »
Well, that implies a belief that someone is in fact choosing for you.  I didn't see RPD that way.  I don't think Hemet chose my gods for me so much as had the proper tools to see Who was already there.  Just a difference in perspective, I guess.  
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Set & Heru-wer Who Are the Bawy
Beloved of Aset-Serqet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 12:38:42 pm »
Hotep :)

The RPD does not choose for us who THE only gods are that we should ever talk or offer to, or expect to care about us. On the contrary--it tells us who set us into being at a profound level. But all of us have very meaningful and significant interactions with many gods--sometimes we even know about these interactions :) And every single Name of Netjer knows well about each of us.

And undertaking the RPD is not required, nor is accepting its decision after. Undergoing the RPD is necessary only if one wants to acquire the information it will offer.  One can be a Remetj and not undergo it. Accepting its information is expected only if one wishes to become a Shemsu of Kemetic Orthodoxy.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »
Quote from: Seta
Allowing someone else to choose who can and will have power in any facet of your life is a huge thing; a very powerful transaction. You must accept the responsibility of any and all outcomes, as well as you must realise that you are giving your power away to someone else who may or may not have your best interests at heart.

Em Hotep,

As a diviner, I see a huge difference between allowing another human to choose something and using a tool to reveal something already chosen.

As far as who can and will have power in ANY facet of my life is concerned; I do not even give my Gods such dominion over me, nor do They ask for it. I am responsible for my life because I do not hand it over to anyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »
I don't see the RPD as a loss of power or control. It's a willingness to take a look at how things really are in terms of who gave rise to you. Looking at Things-As-They-Are isn't always fun. In fact, in my life, it's been enlightening, but never tons of fun.

Some people may feel that they drive the boat, so to speak, in terms of their spirituality, choosing their gods, and so on. If that's you, then go for it. By saying it like it is I don't mean any offense. However, be honest enough to admit this. Walk your path, but walk it honestly, and you won't go wrong.

In my case, I suspected Set was involved but didn't know. I was almost sure that Heru-wer or Yinepu would come up, and I figured one or both for parents. Ra-Heruakhety, though, threw me. I didn't expect him. In fact, I knew almost nothing about him.

I went into the RPD to find out how things are. I was surprised. I guess I could have gotten very upset that I wasn't a Heru or Yinepu kid (although both did show up after all as Beloveds), but what good would that do me? I can also get upset that I'm a white woman with green eyes. In neither case will griping "fix" it -- and there really is nothing to fix.

If you get surprised, don't say, "Hey! That's not right!" Say, "Huh. I wonder what I can learn from this?" And once again, if you know you've got too much riding on a possible result that's contrary to your expectations, and if you know that such a thing would hurt you more than help you, then don't do it.

You trade your expectations for certainty in taking the RPD. You trade your certainty to continue meeting your expectations without fail in not doing the RPD.

As for how much influence the gods exert, I'm apparently not a normal case. Set is very much first for me. He overshadows just about everything else in my RPD and definitely everything that makes up my spirituality that isn't Kemetic Orthodox.

Lately he got on my case about getting distracted with other things and gave me a nice, fatherly kick in the head. "I'm first," he said. "You can do that other [expletive], and that's fine, but I'm first. Don't forget it."

So your mileage may vary. Other gods are less like that, from what I hear.

All that to say, in summary, that you should do what you feel is right and accept the consequences of your choice. That's about all I can say.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 11:23:10 pm »
I believe that is what I said, Khesretitui.

Still, it's not a crime to follow one's heart.  I do not recall it being listed so in the 42 negative confessions.

If one's heart says that a god has a role in one's life (and one's personal experiences speak the same), even if other humans say otherwise, it is not wrong to continue to believe that as well as state that.

But, that free will is not presented here; one person claims that she knows about the souls of those who come to her.  That coming to her is free will...

I just do not really understand it.  I digress the point of the thread; for this, I'm sorry.  I think I've solved an issue I had with this subject.  Of course, since I'm here and 'spoke', I will be available for comment if any come forth regarding my posts.

Thank you for 'hearing' me out.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:25:19 pm by Seta »
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 01:27:23 am »
It is my understanding that when people use the term 'claim,' they are referring to that first moment when their parent revealed his or herself, not that we are up for grabs for whoever claims us first.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it was with Sekhmet and I, years before I was divined, or had even heard of KO.
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 01:59:26 am »
The RPD among other things I'd heard kept me from being really involved with HoN for a long time. I'd heard all the stuff how "they pick your gods for you" etc. And even though I ended up being a daughter of Sekhmet after all, I really like to think I opened my mind to the possibility that it could be anyone, and went to my RPD half expecting Set and/or Wepwawet to show up. I even took off my Sekhmet necklace for the divination because I didn't want to seem presumptuous. It did take a lot of soul serarching to consider that I might be wrong, that perhaps I was misreading messages I'd felt so deeply like a baby duck following a human caaregiver who it thinks is it's mother.

After it was all done, I showed non-Kemetic pagan friends Hemet's article about what it was I just did, and they warmed up to it a lot more than before when I was considering it; the friends who study other indigenous (albeit North American) religions liked the fact that RPD puts the emphasis on the gods and community, and not on, as one friend put it, the "focus(ing) on it as a loss of freedom rather than simply an acknowledgment that we as mortals don't always know what's best and have it all figured out". From the perspective of a lot of North American tribes, contrary to modern New Age thought, one does not pick one's own totems, for example, one inherits the totems of tribe and family - the emphasis is on the community, not the individual's wishes or desires. One could say RPD is Hemet deciding for us who we are children of (I did not get this impression) but if one looks at a lot of traditions from the Near East/Mediterranean, one sees a lot of oracular/divinatory traditions (Delphi being the most famous example), where people for millennia put their faith in the hands of a mortal who was somehow showing the wishes of the divine.

Not trying to say that everyone should have an RPD whether they think they want one or not, far from it, as I said, I get hearing about the practice and raising an eyebrow.
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »
Quote from: Seta
If one's heart says that a god has a role in one's life (and one's personal experiences speak the same), even if other humans say otherwise, it is not wrong to continue to believe that as well as state that.

Absolutely, and Hemet has said as such many times. Just because a God isn't in your RPD doesn't mean your relationship with them isn't as valid!

Indeed, I still call Bast "mother". And she does not frown on this, in some way I am still her child like she told me many years ago. I just... don't find it to be the same thing as what's meant by the RPD term "Parent". Bast didn't make my ba, however close we have become in the lives since then.

But, that free will is not presented here; one person claims that she knows about the souls of those who come to her.  That coming to her is free will...

As I've said elsewhere, she doesn't claim to know. She claims to be able to find out through divinatory means. I don't claim to know about other people's lives, but when a friend asks me a question I can pull some cards and creep them out with what they needed to hear. Do you see the difference?

You don't need to understand it. This type of faith isn't for everyone. Here, the power to tell your elders who your Parents are is not in your hands. There are other religions where you can do that. There are others where you can't. It is *totally ok* that this type of religion is not for you. That doesn't mean it has to be bunk, though.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet

As I've said elsewhere, she doesn't claim to know. She claims to be able to find out through divinatory means.

(Bolded by me)

This is an important difference to note. Because I myself don't necessarily fully agree with everything in the KO faith -- I moved on to where I am now (a Kemetic Witch) and I'm only a Remetj here instead of the Shemsu-Ankh I once was because of this fact -- so, the question is: Does that mean I believe my divination was incorrect?

No. Because I do maintain confidence in Rev. Siuda's abilities as a spiritual practitioner, and I firmly believe she was given accurate information through a divination process as to my Parents and Beloveds. This doesn't require me to have any faith in her "knowing" it for herself as "secret knowledge" of some kind (which would be Gnosticism, not Kemeticism, really) -- I do contain faith in the fact that she was able to connect with Netjer in such a way to figure it out, however.

That being said... I happen to think other people could potentially do the same thing through similar (or different) divination means, but I'm not here to undermine the faith or Rev. Siuda, I'm only here to add input that is hopefully potentially useful:

There is a difference between stating you contain a higher knowledge, and you were given a higher knowledge -- or, alternatively, you uncovered a higher knowledge.

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »

... I happen to think other people could potentially do the same thing through similar (or different) divination means, but I'm not here to undermine the faith or Rev. Siuda,

this leads me to ask:  is it generally understood and accepted here that Rev. Siuda IS the only one who can divine Parents and Beloveds, either within the faith or outside of it?  She is the only one Netjer has consented to let that knowledge come through?
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »
i wanted to add: i am not trying to undermine the faith or Rev. Siuda either; i just want to understand this point with perfect clarity.  :)
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »
Quote from: kathleen
... I happen to think other people could potentially do the same thing through similar (or different) divination means, but I'm not here to undermine the faith or Rev. Siuda,

this leads me to ask:  is it generally understood and accepted here that Rev. Siuda IS the only one who can divine Parents and Beloveds, either within the faith or outside of it?  She is the only one Netjer has consented to let that knowledge come through?
i wanted to add: i am not trying to undermine the faith or Rev. Siuda either; i just want to understand this point with perfect clarity.  :)

Within the Kemetic Orthodox faith/mindset, the reason why the RPD is only performed by Rev. Siuda is because during the RPD, Rev. Siuda accepts the person as Her student (and child, in a way) if the person having the RPD vows to be a Shemsu. If other people were to perform the RPD, Rev. Siuda would not be able to accept thoe being RPD'd by other people as Her students/children.

(Weshem-Ib, aka the Shemsu-Ankh ordeal, is when those Shemsu who take it accept/confirm Rev. Siuda as their Mother back.)
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2979
  • stats Total Posts: 286805
  • stats Total Topics: 19440
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything