Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What do you wear?  (Read 166401 times)

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
Re: What do you wear?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »
i've had several different Bast pendants/amulets over the years.  two have had to be retired due to wear and tear! my current one is not really Kemetic, but She liked it enough to claim it, and i think it represents Her well: it's a happy, dancing cat, done in silver from an illustration design by Edward Gorey.  i wear this every day.  i also have a tattoo of Her on my right arm.

additionally, i have a pendant of polished amber etched with an image of a jaguar, which i associate with Sekhmet and wear when i feel i need to call on Her for strength or healing.

i also wear a ring that bears a yin yang symbol because it reminds me of the balance of Ma'at.
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 06:42:43 am »
Thank you all for your responses.  I have enjoyed reading them and seeing the pics.  I currently wear ankh earrings, and a sekhmet museum reproduction necklace with matching earrings.

http://www.museumstorecompany.com/product_info.php?products_id=2627

Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 07:34:48 am »
Zat: I love how your shirt in that photo looks like a collar necklace. :D

Sibuna: Your dog tag is freaking awesome!
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 08:37:50 am »
I love the dog tags too. Would you be able to make more?

And thanks Dog. I rather like that shirt for just that reason. :)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 10:01:27 am »
Quote from: Shezatwepwawet
I love the dog tags too. Would you be able to make more?

This, oh yes.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:48 am »
Glad people like my dogtag, when the idea for it popped up into my head, I just knew I had to run with it! I didn't etch the pieces myself however, so I can't make more. I used one of those places which does custom laser etching/engraving on various sterling silver items for weddings, graduations, etc. I just provided them with the files for my two logo-style graphics.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline KiraSekhmet

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 04:33:22 pm »
where did you folks with the cartouche necklaces get them made?

I've been toying with the idea for quite a while, but was warned it might be bad form -- I can't quite remember why.  however, I've been wanting one for about a year. :)
you said you'd give me light
but you never told me about the [color:red]fire[/color].

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »
my cartouche came from  The Pyramid Collection. There overpriced IMO but the pendant is beatiful and very detailed.

I think the "bad form" idea as I understand it is because the cartouche is reserved for royalty. However, I also understand the cartouche to be an extended shen, a symbol of divine protection and eternity. I thought it would be ok to wear as my mother gave it to me...and who better to offer such a symbol than your mother?
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:19 pm »
Quote from: Pharess
and a sekhmet museum reproduction necklace

http://www.museumstorecompany.com/product_info.php?products_id=2627

that's beautiful!!!    :D
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 05:28:49 pm »
I wear a gold cartouche ring on my left index finger as part of my "can't leave the house without" gear.  (Other "can't leave the house without" gear: glasses, underpants)

I regularly wear a necklace given to me by Taji: Brass Bes pendant, carnelian beads. Another piece I wear more infrequently is a blue-glazed bone necklace that I picked up in Egypt that has some personal connections now.

Sometimes I wear this chunky scarab ring my mother bought for me, but it's too unwieldy for daily use.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Sekhmetyanu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 01:41:34 am »
I mostly wear my Ankh necklace. It's silver around a silver chain. I like it a lot and I toy with it often when I'm thinking. I don't have a picture of it, but I keep it out almost always. It feels odd to put it under my clothes.
  My LJ 
Sekhmet Greets (Me)
Sat Sekhmet-Mut.
 Meryt Bast, Aset-Serqet, Djehuty

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 09:23:44 am »
Quote from: Rodina
I think pendants/amulets have influenced human gestures of a certain type. I strongly suspect that when people talk and wish to make an emphatic point, or they get flustered or upset and they reach for the base of their throat or top of their chest and put their hand there, they're drawing on ancient genetic memory of reaching for the comfort of an amulet. So, there's something to this if I'm right.
Meant to reply to this earlier. I compulsively touch my ankhs and my chalice (and my Nut necklace before it broke) when I'm thinking, nervous, happy, upset, reverent. If I don't have knitting in my hands or my jewelry around my neck, my hands tend to fly around looking for something to do, even if it's just playing with my water bottle cap. I don't know if it's genetic memory, an instinct for ritual, an energetic tie to particular pieces, or years of wearing special necklaces while fidgeting, or what, but it's definitely comforting to touch them during those emotional and contemplative moments. Necklaces I don't wear often, or with symbols that aren't as significant, don't have the same draw to touch them.
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 12:02:59 pm »
I think this is also the origin of "worry beads" so common in the Middle East and Mediterranean. I also think there is something to the idea that something very dear to a person, that they wear often, becomes imbued with a tiny part of that person. I can't quite describe it, but you know when you get a feeling while handling a cherished heirloom.

Everyone has some beautiful jewelry here.
http://guerillachefhq.blogspot.com/

Heads Carolina, tails California
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer...

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 01:42:45 pm »
I have an ankh pendant I got years ago that I wear about 50% of the time. When I'm not wearing that, I'm wearing a Djehuty pendant that Setjat gave me. It's like a dog-tag with Djehuty engraved. I love it. I like this better than my ankh because it's like a comfort pendant. I also have scarab earrings that I wear every once and a while. They are really heavy, so that is why I don't wear them often.
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Fundraising Event Coordinator
Fedw diviner for Djehuty
Blog

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 04:22:42 am »
I ordered my cartouche while I was in Dallas at the King Tut exhibit, but I believe Egyptian Marketplace may sell them, or Egyptian dreams does.
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2846
  • stats Total Posts: 281563
  • stats Total Topics: 18963
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 106
  • stats Most Online: 217