collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 74
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Nisut & the Kingly Ka  (Read 11847 times)

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
The Nisut & the Kingly Ka
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:50:33 pm »
I fear that this post may turn out more self-reflective than a question, but I will try my hardest to stick to my intent for this thread.

When I first loaded kemet.org's main page and starting reading through things- it felt like a key turning in me. The vibe I received was "These people have real devotion. I wish I could find that within myself. Maybe the KO is meant to be part of my spiritual path or it's resting place." With this thought in mind, I was seriously considering the KO (which I still am) and after a few months sent in my application for the beginner's class (conveniently about two weeks after the last one began, though the time has allowed me to continue thinking and questioning.)

The one problem I had is the position of the Nisut as the 196th Pharaoh. It was hard for me to believe that she bore the kingly ka. I suppose my reservation came from the societal fear of cults. One of the first things I realized is that the KO is far from the actual definition of a cult. It bears even less resemblance to a cult than many mainstream religions!

However, my skepticism of the Nisut remained intact. Well, it remained intact until about thirty minutes ago when I found   this thread here on the HoN forums. Many of the KO members had viewpoints that helped me fully grasp the concept, but one bit by Sedjemes in particular stuck out to me and inspired this revelation.

Quote from: Sedjemes
Why does anyone follow any person spiritually? Be that person Pope, Rabbi, Imam, Minister, Lama, etc. In fact, why do any of us listen to and follow the counsel and wisdom of any other person? Because we decide for ourselves for whatever reason seems true to us that that person has some insight that we find works well for us, and so we make it our own.

To give a very brief back story as to why this meant so much to me: I was a Christian for about four years. My parents were more or less Atheists so I was not "indoctrinated" (as is the popular Neopagan way of putting thing) and I willingly and very vehemently practiced my Christian faith.

After looking at it this way, by seeing the Nisut as a spiritual teacher and looking at how she has helped people and is trying to bring ma'at to this world, it is not so hard to wrap my mind around the kingly ka concept. She is a great person and her teachings do inspire me. For four years I believed (as many Christian denominations do) that my preacher (and all preachers) was chosen by God to do His work on earth. That did not seem illogical to me then, why should I have a major problem believing that the Netjeru have chosen someone to pick up their work of spreading ma'at? I shouldn't and now I do not.

Traditional Wiccans believe that their High Priest/ess draws in the God and Goddess during a certain part of ritual. Catholics believe that the Pope is God's mouth on earth. It's not a crazy concept when everything is put into perspective. Of course, this is how I can understand it, for others it may be more complex or entirely different.

With all of this being said, I suppose my question is: am I crazy? I know that I don't have to rationalize this situation as I'm not obligated to join the KO and accept the Nisut for what she claims to be. I can honor and worship Netjer outside of the KO or find another group if I feel it's necessary. However, those two things didn't seem to be the solution to my dilemma. I think that I've been wavering about the thought of conversion these past few months because of the Nisut's position. I'd like to think that Netjer had a hand in helping me figure it out in my mind, perhaps it's an indication that I should continue on with the KO to see where it takes me.

I did try to keep this post relevant to the Q&A forum, but I don't think it worked too well lol. Thank you if you read all of my mind junk and I would greatly appreciate any or all comments. Having haunted this forum for about nine months, I've come to respect the great minds that run around here.

Thanks and senebty,

Coty

EDIT: P.S. I just realized that the title of this thread totally sounds like a Harry Potter novel. LOL.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Coty »
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
Re: The Nisut & the Kingly Ka
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:07:58 am »
Em Hotep Coty!

No, you're not crazy.  I had these doubts myself until I met Hemet for intensive last year.  The real thing that totally blew any doubt out of my mind was at last year's coronation ceremony.  You see, I'm clairsentinent (mom calls it "ghost-dar") and I can sense the spiritual realm at times (when I'm concentrating or in a place of power).  I was able at the coronation ceremony to sense the power the Kingly Ka exduded from Hemet as she was in full possesion of it, and it was mind-blowing.  It was one of many experiences at retreat last year that truly drove the doubts from my mind about Netjer and Hemet herself.

Hemet has told the story that she was asked by Sekhmet if she wanted to become the Nisut (AUS), and she accepted.  Now I'm not quite sure if you're concern is with Hemet herself, the way she gained her position, or her title (titles can be very turn-offish to some), but I will assure you, she's very humble about her position and takes great interest in all the members of our faith.  I understand you may be nervous, but even I was a bundle of 'em when I first joined. :)

I'll defer to the priests to answer better where I cannot.

Senebty!
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:17:45 am »
I don't think misgivings and skepticism are necessarily bad things. They are the checks and balances in our brains that keep us from being taken advantage of.

As for doubts about Hemet (AUS), her titles, and her role, I would say that's a natural reaction for some. Initially for me it was similar.

For those of us who come out of Christianity at some point -- especially evangelical or Protestant Christianity that focuses on personal relationships with God versus hierarchical ones --  titles, divine authority, and all related trappings can come off...weird. This is doubly true for Americans, as we have a system based on the idea that the people determine their destiny, and that a king (ostensibly) set up by God does not have an infallible say.

It feels counterintuitive, to say the least. As a Texan raised in the Southern Baptist Church, I feel that weirdness times a million, you might say, as we are a cranky, stubborn breed of individualists.

However, I think you've hit on something that helps you overcome the weird and begin to adapt your world view. That Hemet (AUS) is a teacher and a servant of the people is very true. Having spoken with her about this very topic before, I find her extremely humble and aware that the role of Nisut is not bling, clout, and silly hats. It is, from what I can tell, a tough, lifelong job that bears an awful lot of responsibility. My interaction with Hemet (AUS) -- yes, interaction expressing my skeptical outlook -- helped solidify my confidence in her as a leader and teacher, and I can't help but recommend the same for anyone else of a similar mind.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khesretitui »
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:15:59 am »
Thank you so much for responding Siwy and Khesretitui!

It sounds like, from both of your experiences, that my doubts would best be put to rest if I could meet and speak with Hemet (which is kind of obvious, but leave it to me to not even think of it lol). I would very, very much like to meet her and if I end up becoming a Remetj of the faith I definitely intend to get to Tawy House for something in the future!

I've a lot to ponder still, though I feel much more comfortable have some sort of peace in my mind about the subject. I'm just holding out for the beginner's class to start and sticking with my meditation and study :)

Thanks again!

Senebty,

Coty
Menem

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:26 am »
Hotep, Coty.

Now that Wep Ronpet is over and things at Tawy are winding down, you may be able to schedule an online meeting with Hemet (AUS).  That is something to look into.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:15:15 am »
Quote from: Khesretitui
Hotep, Coty.

Now that Wep Ronpet is over and things at Tawy are winding down, you may be able to schedule an online meeting with Hemet (AUS).  That is something to look into.

O.O *gulp* Really? That's semi-sort-of never-wracking idea. I mean, it's one thing to hope to speak to her at some enigmatic time in the future but. . .lol. What a dork I am.

Ah, enough of that haha. How would I go about scheduling such a meeting? :D
Menem

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:28:59 am »
The general contact email for getting in touch with Clergy and having questions answered is HetNetjer@kemet.org. Try an email there.

And don't worry. Hemet (AUS) doesn't bite. She's actually very nice.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:34:36 am »
Quote from: Khesretitui
And don't worry. Hemet (AUS) doesn't bite. She's actually very nice.

Oh, I believe it, I'm just a dork I s'pose lol. Thanks so much for all of your help!
Menem

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 11:58:39 am »
No problem. S'what we're here for.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:21:20 pm »
Very interesting topic here since I harbor the same skepticism to claims like that as well. I am more than accepting of her as a religious teacher, but the thought of being divinely chosen still doesn't sit to right in my mind. Especially since I have been led down the wrong path in the past (back when I was mentally unstable).

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »
Hotep!

Such skepticism and caution are perfectly all right and entirely welcome here. I think you would find varying degrees of both even within the membership!

The Nisut does not require that anyone, even those of Kemetic Orthodoxy, necessarily consider her in any part divine, or treat her with anything other than simple human respect and courtesy.

One of the reason we offer the beginners's program is so that people can decide for themselves if this faith, this practice, answers something within their soul and spirit.  I think it is safe to say that perhaps the thing the Nisut, as teacher, as holder of the Kingly Ka, whichever one choses to see Her as, hopes most from us as Kemetic Orthodox, is that we treat each other within this faith as brothers and sisters, with respect and compassion, and that we treat those outside the faith as children of Netjer, wherever their own paths and practices may take them.

The rest is just a personal choice.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 08:12:17 pm »
i just want to say that i'm glad to see this topic active again, because i, too, have been wrestling with some of these same doubts and cautious feelings recently, and for some of the same reasons, it sounds like.  i feel very torn at the moment, actually, because i have harbored strong feelings *against* organized religion for most of my life, yet still find myself inexplicably drawn to this one.  i, too, feel that i would be in a much better position to make a decision regarding full conversion if it were possible to meet Rev. Siuda in person...i know from past experience how different a person can seem in writing from the way they actually are, and i think too much is lost in online communication of any kind versus face-to-face.  

i don't know what the future holds, and though a meeting with Rev. Siuda seems improbable now, that may certainly change...and so might my feeling that it's even necessary.  i know i am still very new to this faith (and to faith in general!!) and there is no reason to hurry, yet i still feel a kind of urgency for some reason.  so much of what i have learned here makes it feel like it **could** be "home", but...part of me wants it to be a PERFECT fit, and i'm just not sure yet if it is.  

i knew all along that i wanted to become Remetj, because Sekhmet wanted me to.  but whenever i ask Her about taking the next step, She is silent, which i suppose means it's up to me.  

so, i'm just really glad to hear again that skepticism and caution are welcome here, 'cause it seems i have those in abundance.  :)

Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Menekh

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »
Quote from: kathleen
so, i'm just really glad to hear again that skepticism and caution are welcome here, 'cause it seems i have those in abundance.  :)

Em Hotep Kathleen (and everyone else) *henu*

Not only welcomed, but encouraged.  We are all very careful as possible with things in the seen world, and my personal opinion is that we should be just as careful with things in the unseen world - especially when making decisions about our choice of faith.  I think the questioning process is important in keeping us balanced in the middle at important times, and is very healthy.  

My experience here in the Temple has been that NO ONE, not even the Nisut Herself has ever told me exactly what to believe or what to think.  Information has been presented and I have been left to make my own decisions.

This faith is built on action in many or most ways.  Questions on what we do and how we do it are good, and if this is where you want to be, you might be surprised where opportunities for further growth in this faith may pop up. ;)  Many of the members have wonderful stroies about how they "found" Kemetic Orthodoxy.  The right things have a way of happening very quickly at the right time.

Senebty,

Menekh

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 08:48:49 pm »
I'll echo Menekh and others here. Nobody has ever told me what to think or chastised me for my doubts and skepticism. I was fairly skeptical about the Kingly Ka thing, too, at first. I have my own way of understanding it now, and I'm comfortable with that, but at no point did anyone from the House tell me, "You will repeat the following creed."

As for finding things when the time is right, I wholeheartedly agree. I was interested in the Egyptian gods for many years before I joined the House in 2003, but had never felt that I could or should worship them. Then, suddenly one day it made sense to do so. I went looking, found the House, and there you go. We encounter things, I think, when we are ready for them.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 09:19:02 pm »
Oops. posted to the wrong thread, please disregard.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:23:21 pm by Sekhmetbitu »
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289027
  • stats Total Topics: 19611
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything