Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 87
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Artisan's Guild  (Read 34255 times)

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
Artisan's Guild
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:08:02 am »
Hotep all,

I was just wondering what makes Artisan's Guild statues so special?  Who are the Artisan's Guild? What company supplies the statues? It has been pretty much impossible for me to find one of Sekhmet.

Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Artisan's Guild
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:32:08 am »
Em hotep Sis:

The reason why Artisan's Guild is so special is that they are the very same statues that the Temple uses at the State Shrine - and the fact that 1) they are ritually acceptable, ie. there are no plastics, etc. and  such being cast of marble resin and hand painted. 2) They are "museum quality" which meant that every single one of them is hand painted and had to pass pretty intense quality assurance to be sold. I remmber wanting to buy one of the kneeling Aset statues for someone and was told directly by the gentleman who owned the company, that he could not in good conscience sell it to me because it was "not up to standards." I spent a good amount of time pleading with him and he insisted. Later that week he called me with one that was, in his mind, ok to sell to me.

I used to deal directly with Artisan's Guild International (AGI)and had an account with them and I could get them for House members at a very substantially reduced price. About eight years ago, AGI decided to cease production because at the time the very inexpensive Chinese statues were coming in at maybe a third or even a fourth of the price. He was quite literally driven out of business.  

The owner and I talked about the possibility of finding a buyer for the molds and he would have sold the whole thing for $50K  What a great business that would have been for someone here in the House! But unfortunately, I couldnt find anyone who could front that type of cash for such a project or more importantly someone who had the ambition or space requirements to make it a go. I talked to Henku at Retreat and apparently the owner of AGI did find a buyer for the molds and someone else has them now. Perhaps AGI statues will make a comeback under another name. One can only hope.

My best suggestion for you or anyone else who is wanting an Artisan's Guild Statue is to scour eBay. Don't just check it occassionally - put yourself on automatic email notify or check every day or every few days or once every week.  When you find one and if it is in a decent price range, snap it up. Or post a link here on the boards for others. I have seen the Sekhmet on there from time to time but you have got to check constantly because everyone else who is interested in them knows what they are, too, and are doing the same thing. In other words, if you see a Sekhmet on eBay, do not hesitate. BUY IT! Someone else is bound to! I sold more Sekhmet and Yinepu than any of the other Names. And our Mother is BIG on purity and She likes these.

Sorry I couldn't be more help or could get one for you. I used to do a very good business in those statues. :(

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:51 am »
Thank you so much for the very informative answer.
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:14:28 am »
Em hotep, Daryt!

I have several Artisan's Guild statues and I can tell you that they are something special.  I treasure mine... during earthquakes I tend to run to my Aset statue to make sure she doesn't fall (I know, it's stupid but I do it anyways).

Isis Books and Gifts seems to have a couple of these statues left- full price, unfortunately.

http://store.isisbooks.com/BAST_STATUE_p/e232.htm

http://store.isisbooks.com/HORUS_STATUE_p/e234.htm

Senebty,

~Meza~
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:57:05 am »
Little Egypt also has a few left, and they do ship and do mail order. Their website is here, but do not trust what's in inventory. Most of the AGI statues are gone, but they do have lots and lots of other things.

I was at their main shop in Dallas on business a week or two ago, and this is what they still had among the AGIs that I remember:

Khnum
Djehuty
Nehebka
Sobek

They may or may not have had anybody else. I thought I remembered a Sekhmet or maybe a Wesir, but I cannot say it with any certainty.

I got the last Set, and He cost me $200. Supply and demand.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:18 am »
Man, now I feel bad about all my cheap Chinese resin Images. Though the only Sekhmet I liked, the one in my shrine, is not one of them, it's unpainted cast basalt IIRC. Perhaps that's a reason Mom likes it so much.
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:16:35 am »
I'm dying to find a Artisan's Guild Statue for Wesir, he so rare I don't even know what the statue looks like. :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TaysatWesir »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:22:59 am »
Could this be the Artisan's Guild Statue of Wesir by some chance?

http://tinyurl.com/ojwqk4
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:24:38 am »
Quote from: TaysatWesir
Could this be the Artisan's Guild Statue of Wesir by some chance?

http://tinyurl.com/ojwqk4

No, unfortunately that is not it Taysat. I haven't seen one in years.
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:13 am »
Em hotep Bitu:

Quote from: Sekhmetbitu
Man, now I feel bad about all my cheap Chinese resin Images. Though the only Sekhmet I liked, the one in my shrine, is not one of them, it's unpainted cast basalt IIRC. Perhaps that's a reason Mom likes it so much.

Please don't feel bad. I have a few of those images myself, and I am personally very glad to have given Wenem, and Imakhu Mekti my business. I am all in favour of supporting our people and I do.  I still think the Celestial Cow that Wenem had was so totally awesome. (Wenem,  can you still get those?!)

Anyway...Wenem told me also at Retreat, that the pewter ones, plated with a gold finish are also being discontinued. So if you find those, please consider talking to either Wenem or Mekti and seeing what they have in stock of those. I am just mentioning this. They best know what they have in stock.

From my own experience, most of the time, if someone is given a choice between getting something that is higher quality and a higher price, vs. getting something that might be a little less expensive, people will go with the item that is least cost. This is especially true when the item is not something that falls under food, clothing, shelter or necessities.  When I say that, it isn't a judgement call of any kind, nor am I saying one thing is better than another. That is just the reality of the marketplace. AGI was hit with that reality.

An aside: I have somewhere in my office here, a disk that has pictures of ALL of the statues that AGI made and/or an old catalogue from them that I can scan for folks to take a look at.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 11:44:00 am »
Quote from: TaysatWesir
I'm dying to find a Artisan's Guild Statue for Wesir, he so rare I don't even know what the statue looks like. :(

Em hotep, Taysat!

This isn't a good close-up pic but you can still see my Artisan's Guild Wesir statue.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/keithlance/WesirAltarDay1.jpg

Senebty,

~Meza~
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:48 am »
Thanks Meza. :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:20 am »
How do you set ebay to look for them? I don't have a single statue at this point in time. I have been wanting a few, of Mom and Dad of course. This sounds like something I would love to have.
[color:red]Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Bast, beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet [/color]

[color:red]Myths[/color] [color:blue]and[/color] [color:green]Legends[/color] [color:purple]are[/color] [color:orange]born[/color] [color:blue]from[/color] [color:purple]the[/color] Truth

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:01:50 pm »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet
Anyway...Wenem told me also at Retreat, that the pewter ones, plated with a gold finish are also being discontinued.

Sigh.  I like those.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:42 pm »
Quote from: Basheta
How do you set ebay to look for them? I don't have a single statue at this point in time. I have been wanting a few, of Mom and Dad of course. This sounds like something I would love to have.

The same thing happened to me when I searched on Ebay. I'm guessing "museum quality" Egyptian statues.
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3059
  • stats Total Posts: 291386
  • stats Total Topics: 19800
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653