collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How does Bast appear to you?  (Read 32240 times)

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
How does Bast appear to you?
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:49:33 am »
Em hotep!

I've had some conversations with people lately that highlight sort of a disconnect with how people perceive Bast.  Some experience Her as a large and powerful predator.  Some as a woman dressed in motorcycle gear, martial arts, and/or a night of clubbing.  Others feel Her simply as forceful emotion.  My own impression is of someone lounging around but very watchful, the very embodiment of the ki-Aikido pillar "relax completely" -- Who springs into terrifying action when necessary.

And yet, sensuality and joy are two of Her main attributes, and She and Her children often seem to be underestimated as fluffy, meowing kitten types.

So what's the deal? :)  Does anyone actually get "kitten Bast", or is that kind of a misunderstanding, or even a game or ruse?
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline Tahotep

• Shemsu
Re: How does Bast appear to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:03:55 am »
Em Hotep Kai-Imakhu Sesha! ::henu::

I'd say I typically "get" Bast as a large cat.  I typically envision Her as a Feral Cat or an African Caracal, the image just seems to fit.

As for Her personality, I get the Bast that is loving and patient, but Who also won't hesitate to thwack you upside the head if you're doing it wrong.  And Netjer knows She's had to do that to me plenty :P  Just like a mother cat correcting a wayward kitten, actually.

The more I think about Her, the more I realize She's always there, perhaps just hovering at the edge of my awareness, much like my other Mother, HetHert-Sekhmet.  Both of Them like to let me try things on my own, but are there to correct me (with loving force) if I get too far off the proper course.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:04:21 am by Tahotep »
Tahotepirty
"Peace of (the) Two Eyes" or "Peaceful Two Eyes"
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Bast, meryt Aset-Serquet her Amunet

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:40 am »
I've had a "change in Mother" recently...  I'd always seen Mom as the "Cat" aspect... but more recently (within the last 2 years) She's become the Lionness Bast - Lady of the Tearing Claws...the Eye of Ra.

When I think back, She's always been that aspect to me (the Devourer / Eye of Ra)... it was always there in Her eyes... just the outward facade was the "Cat"...  because maybe that's what I needed to see at the time in order to acclimate to her properly?  Because maybe if I'd seen her as She is to me now...  I'd have run screaming?  Maybe if She'd shown Herself to me then like She is now...  we'd never have the relationship we do?  I dunno..  but when I went to Her over the whole "were You like this the whole time?" I got a big ole feeling of "Of course...silly child " (with the feeling of a WARM smile... with big teeth)

When She is "Mothering" me... I get "Cat".. all loving and playful and cuddly...If I need "Mommy"... had an awful day or just need a hug or whatever... I get "Cat"...
But the rest of the time I get a very professional style of relationship... and right now it's almost exclusively "Eye of Ra".

For me, I guess... it's what role She is working with at that point and time - what YOU need Her to show for where you are in life.... what, emotionally, you are ready for.

Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:08:41 am »
The way I seem to have always percieved Bast is as a cat, but a strong one. She's relaxed and she purrs and she's warm, but there's a predatory edge to the sensuality in her eyes, and you can *feel* that underneath all that fur there's muscle waiting to shift.

That's how I see her, I guess. She's not the soft love that I feel from Hethert. There's an animal under the skin and you can feel it ripple sometimes, even as she purrs and licks your face.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:09:56 am »
Quote from: Seshagemseger
So what's the deal? :)

I get Mama Bast-Mut as a large, most-of-the-time lounging black panther. Yes, She can (and has on more than one occasion) roar and panther-pounce, but most of the time She's just way too relaxed to do much but watch with Her golden eyes. :)

Does anyone actually get "kitten Bast", or is that kind of a misunderstanding, or even a game or ruse?

Hmm. This is a good question... I was going to joke that the Seshat kid figured out our secret, but it's partially true I think. I think, for me at least, it's both a game and a misunderstanding; we all have the kitten in us unconsciously, though most of the time it's hiding. It can come out when we're "playing" with others or it can come out when we need to defend ourselves. However, it is also a bit of a misunderstanding, perpetuated by some of Her children (myself included) who mweow up a storm and have taken to "acting" like cats (beyond the mweowing) as a normal thing.
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:42:43 am »
Em hotep, KI-Sesha!

I don't really get "kitten Bast" but then again I don't really get much at all yet.  :(  Here is the only experience that I've had so far...

I was laying across my bed one day, reading one of my many "Ancient Egypt" coffee table books.  I became aware of the presence of a cat laying behind me.  At first I thought it was my little cat, Josie but the presence felt too large.  It felt like the size of a large cat... or small lion.  I turned around to look but saw nothing.  Josie wasn't there.  I then knew it was Bast-Mut.  The feelings that I felt at the time were of contentment, serenity and happiness.  

That's really the only time I kind of "saw" Bast-Mut other than getting the feeling sometimes that She's standing very close to me- so close that I can't see her.

She feels very different than Sekhmet, Whom I can identify pretty easily.

Senebty,

~Meza~
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:02 am »
I've never gotten her as a kitten. At the closest, maybe as a momma cat playing around with her kittens?

I usually get her as an African wildcat/ Egyptian mau/ some inbetween "hybrid". Sometimes I can feel her as a leopard because I associate her with the "panther" cats (except jaguar reminds me of Sekhmet a bit more). But when I actually "see" her it is almost always as a fierce but affectionate African wildcat.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:22:38 am »
Bast isn't in my lineup, but I get the sense that She hangs out with my two Fathers. I see her as the biker/buttkicker type, but then again, my Parentage may skew my perspective that way automatically. ;)

As for kitten-Bast, I suspect it's not a dominant form, but rather something that emerges from time to time. I've seen full-grown tigers playing like six-week-old kittens at the zoo even though they are fully capable of eating anyone who walks past, and that was what first came to mind for me when I read this topic.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Khentesh

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:11 am »
My experience with Bast (Bast-Mut) is that She is more like a Mountain Lion or a large Lynx than a kitten.
She is very motherly and protective.
I do get her "cattitude" sometimes, and that is mostly when I feel she is happy with something I have done.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:52:20 am by Khentesh »
Senebty

// Khentesh-ib-em-Sekhmet
(Sekhmet is Delighted)

Sat Sekhmet-Hethert
Meryt Bast-Mut her Wesir

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:00:15 pm »
The Bast I get is not really feline at all, as far as I can tell.  

I get pure, unadulterated emotion.  No filters, jut feeling.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
I haven't had much interaction with Bast, although I've discovered that She does come poking around in my life when I am about to meet up with any of Her children.  

I don't know how I experience Her, really.  I am aware of Her peripherally, the way one is aware of a feline in a house but I don't see Her.  She stays just out of view, peeking around doorways with one kitty-eye.  Checking me out, eying me carefully. I'm sure She rifles through my things when I am not paying attention.  She does really weird stuff to my dreams.

It feels like Bast is checking me out in the exact same way that the Bast-kids' housecats check me out when I am visiting their homes.

Because this is becoming a habitual occurrence, I've purchased a Bast statue and set out catnip as a little offering.  Now when Bast comes to visit me She knows She is welcome and has a comfortable place to stay.  I'm rather looking forward to the day when She comes out from around the corner and I get to meet/experience Her.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 01:35:10 pm »
Em hotep!

"Too close to see" and "edge of awareness" are things I've heard from Bast children and Beloveds before. :)  Another one is that She comes from the side, rather than head-on or from behind.

This thread also ties into some thoughts about Hethert.  (Bast is "the Northern Hethert" after all...)  I originally had a bad, and completely unfounded, impression of Hethert as a ditzy bimbo.  Maybe I can blame Budge for that or maybe it was all my own problem.  And of course She showed up as a Beloved in my RPD, though I think I understood Her a little better by then. :D

These Two seem to me to be among the more complex Names and yet so easy to underestimate.  I have long wondered whether they come off that way on purpose, or whether it's a misunderstanding based on cultural preconceptions.  As Shemem pointed out to me, being underestimated by enemies can be a good thing, but being underestimated by friends is usually not.

The thought just occurred to me that it's good to have retractable claws.  There when you need them, but not bristling with all manner of unpleasant weapons 24/7.  It's not really a disguise so much as it is about versatility and appropriateness.  Much like the Hethert<->Sekhmet line.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »
When Bast was here, she was a very dark and beautiful African woman. Simply dressed, but very, very regal. (Whatever Deities I deal with are almost always completely human, since I have difficulty envisioning them otherwise. I'm weird like that.)

Emotionally, she was.. almost brutally honest. She had a rather disconcerting habit of finding out what Issue I had to deal with at the time, dragging it out into the light, and dumping it at my feet like any cat presenting a dead mouse to you. Then she'd stare at me until I finally gave up and started dealing with it. And then she'd have that smirky smugness that cats get. -laughs-

And yes, I'm incredibly stupid and stubborn -- sometimes that took a long while because I thought I wasn't ready to deal with the Issue or just didn't want to deal with it. But she always lead me in the right direction and by the time my time with her was at an end, I was to a point where I didn't fight. I have a theory that she moved on to help other people because the lesson she was here to teach me was that I basically couldn't ignore Issues until they went away. I wouldn't heal that way. Once I started finding those Issues on my own and dealing with them, her time here was done.

Does anyone actually get "kitten Bast", or is that kind of a misunderstanding, or even a game or ruse?

Not so much. I did get a "Mama cat playing with her kittens" vibe sometimes. Very much a "I'm playing with you to teach you skills you need" type thing.

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet
The way I seem to have always percieved Bast is as a cat, but a strong one. She's relaxed and she purrs and she's warm, but there's a predatory edge to the sensuality in her eyes, and you can *feel* that underneath all that fur there's muscle waiting to shift.

This is how I experiance Bast, she is strong cat who pokes paws me when I need to do something right.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TaysatWesir »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 03:19:22 pm »
One of the things I came away with this Retreat was the connection between Bast and Hethert and how Their meeting place is Joy.  :)

I experience Bast-Mut most of the time as emotional closeness.  A warm presence, quietly watchful.  Relaxed.  Regal. Loving. Stillness.  When I get a visual, it's oftentimes of a North American mountain lion (cougar/puma, see icon).  :)

She isn't a kitten to me. At all.  Yes, She will play, but it's, like others have said, from the place of a Mother playing with Her kittens.  An indulgent place.  

As for the Bast-kid meowing thing . . .  I don't meow.  I have done it in the spirit of sibling love when I've been meowed at first, but it just isn't me and I don't particularly care for it.  Though Tuwer (I think) pointed out interestingly that I don't have the same dislike of making doggy noises.  And sometimes I think Yinepu is so close as to almost be a Father.
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289137
  • stats Total Topics: 19619
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217