Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 89
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Cult of Aten  (Read 8382 times)

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
The Cult of Aten
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:05 pm »
I was thinking about it today, and interested to get some opinions on it. Do you think Judaism could have been influenced by the cult of Aten?

Re: The Cult of Aten
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:20:47 pm »

There's a possibilty, but I don't know a whole lot about the beliefs of Judaism.  Sorry for not being much help.
Sa Set her Amun-Ra
Mery Her-wer her Wepwawet-Yinepu

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:23:54 am »
I heard that story on National Geography. Interesting, but who knows... It's still not sure, when Israel people lived in Egypt.

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:58:46 am »
Apparently there was a group called the Hyksos, who many believe were the Hebrews. Akenhaten was himself part Hebrew, and it seems the Amenhotep kings were. He was Amenhotep IV.

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »
em hotep yosef

Akhenaten was part Hebrew??? Where did you hear that?
I've never found a reason to believe that the kings of the 18th dynasty were partly Hebrew - after all, they were descendants of the Theban local rulers who spent long years fighting the Hyksos.

Now, was Judaism influenced by Akhenaten and his religion? I can easily believe that. After all, the cultures and peoples of Egypt and the Near East had close connections in trade and politics. Traders, diplomats, soldiers and others where travelling between the countries all the time, it is only logical that religious ideas might have travelled, too!

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »
I was reading somewhere and it said Akenhaten was part Hebrew. I might be able to recall where, and I'll post a link.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
There was a book written by Sigmund Freud called "Moses and Monotheism" with the theory that Moses was either a servant of Akhenaten or that he "was" Akhenaten himself. Not much is known about this book as many people disregard the theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_and_Monotheism
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:24:29 am by SutekHuh »

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:41:35 am »
I have my doubts about how much influence the cult of the Aten had directly on Judaism. From what I have read, Judaism was more influenced by Sumerian and Babylonian stuff, though I could be wrong.

If you're wanting to read about Akhenaten and that whole fiasco, Kemp is the best author to look into. He has been digging up the town of Akhetaten for a while now, and knows quite a bit about it. He discusses whether the cult of the Aten was truly monotheistic, and how much of a "drastic" change it really was in the last chapter of his book "AE: Anatomy of a Civilization". It might help to shed more light on your inquiry.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:45:22 am »
Let's not forget Mithraism....
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:44:33 am »
Anatomy of a Civilization ;_; I hate that book so much. So wordy *covers away from it in fear*

I can't quite get with the idea of the 18th Dynasty being part Hebrew, I must admit. I haven't seen any indication of it. But I can well imagine things from Egypt influencing Judaism. Many things from Egypt *did* get up there. Cult of Hathor, hieroglyphs, go go!
Rowan (they) | Selene (she)
Meset Wepwawet, Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 11:30:19 am »
lol. I love that book XD I thought he wrote pretty well. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I have more problems trying to follow "Gods and Men in AE" than Kemp's book.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

I cannot say for sure if the cult of Aten was the major influence on the Jewish Faith; though I would be willing to place money on it (even though I am not a very good gambler ;) ). Though, from what I understand about the cult itself is that its ideology was not come to Akhenaten one night in a dream and the next day he banished all other Netjer in place for just Aten. The idea for a singular Netjer who was higher than all other Netjer is nothing mysterious or odd in ancient Kemet; they had been doing this ever since the most early cults. The idea for Aten arose (a believe) two generations before Akhenaten; though it was he who finally gave the correct amount of 'push' to get the cult into the light (no pun intended there). Aten, in the Akhenaten point of view, is a wonderful ideal. He was the supreme embodiment of all the Sun-linked Netjeru... who were seemingly always on the rise of power over other cults: Ra... Ra-Hwarkty... Atum-Ra... Amun-Ra... Though, I very much dislike the fact that Akhenaten had the audacity to banish all the other Netjeru; and what bothers me even more is that 'he' was the only one (outside of his wife) who understood Aten and had the authority to 'talk' to Aten. This to me seemed a bit more 'Dictator-like' than Pharaoh-Like.

Senabty-Rh'ekh  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:10 am »

Apparently there was a group called the Hyksos, who many believe were the Hebrews. Akenhaten was himself part Hebrew, and it seems the Amenhotep kings were. He was Amenhotep IV.

The Hyksos seem to have been an Egyptianized West Semitic speaking people who were definately polytheists. We're not sure which groups in the Levant they came from, we really only know they were West Semitic speaking from their names and what written records they left, if the info I read about them is still correct. A lot of what is "known" about the Hyksos was recorded by Josephus 2000 years ago, centuries after the Hyksos occupation of Egypt. Needless to say, a lot of his history is very suspect.
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline AabatDjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:16 am »
Em Hotep All
Akhenaten was part Hebrew??? Where did you hear that?
I've never found a reason to believe that the kings of the 18th dynasty were partly Hebrew - after all, they were descendants of the Theban local rulers who spent long years fighting the Hyksos.

I totally agree with Maen on this.
[font:Book Antiqua][color:#B5C8DF]

Senebty

A'abat

A'abatDjehuty
[/color]
[color:#DABB83] sat Djehuty meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Shu, her Ra [/color]

[color:#E8E8E8] "Don't Stop Me From Being Free" Galbi by Ofra Haza

[/color] [/font]

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:12 pm »
Judaism happened fairly organically.  Chronologically, historically and geographically, none of the Aten-related theories in this thread make any sense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295195
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955